Phil Spector Dead at 81

Matthew

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The forensic pathologist working on the case, Dr. Louis Pena, gave his testimony in May 2007. 

In it, he disproved the claims circulated by Spector's defense team, stating that Clarkson didn't suffer from depression and that she didn't exhibit the traits commonly exhibited by the victims of suicide. 

As he revealed during his testimony, Clarkson's tongue was severely bruised — indicating that the murder weapon, a gun, was forcefully pushed into her mouth. Image result for lana clarkson

Tell you what - get me the tapes/video of Helen Reddy singing with BB King & the MJQ (again, yes, it happened), then we'll have another look at that.

Until then, Helen Reddy was a "talentedish pop singer". Phil Spector was an artist, a radical re constructor of what energies could be conveyed on a 45 RPM record, a true architect of sound. Don't get hung up in the means - songs, singers, teenager emo, just dig the sound, the end.

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Tell you what - get me the tapes/video of Helen Reddy singing with BB King & the MJQ (again, yes, it happened), then we'll have another look at that.

Until then, Helen Reddy was a "talentedish pop singer". Phil Spector was an artist, a radical re constructor of what energies could be conveyed on a 45 RPM record, a true architect of sound. Don't get hung up in the means - songs, singers, teenager emo, just dig the sound, the end.

No dog in the fight but ... had hardbopjazz put Reddy's thread in Artists, would you have moved it out or let it stand?

Over at Hoffman, they had to close all the threads as they apparently became rather heated. One of the mods over there said 

“Please refrain from starting new or reopening old Phil Spector threads for now. They’re impossible to moderate, filled with hate and vitriol.

We’ll figure something out.”

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

No dog in the fight but ... had hardbopjazz put Reddy's thread in Artists, would you have moved it out or let it stand?

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmolested.

I mean, I'll laugh my ass off, but what would that matter?

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Over at Hoffman, they had to close all the threads as they apparently became rather heated. One of the mods over there said 

“Please refrain from starting new or reopening old Phil Spector threads for now. They’re impossible to moderate, filled with hate and vitriol.

We’ll figure something out.”

I don't get that at all. Before he was a murderer, Phil Spector ws a psycopath. Before that, he was deranged, and before (at tiem during) that, he was a creative force whose legacy remains to this day.

So, c'mon people, compartmentalize.

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmolested.

I mean, I'll laugh my ass off, but what would that matter?

I don't get that at all. Before he was a murderer, Phil Spector ws a psycopath. Before that, he was deranged, and before (at tiem during) that, he was a creative force whose legacy remains to this day.

So, c'mon people, compartmentalize.

You can’t separate the two.

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To that end, if anybody feels so strongly about it, they can start their own Hellin Reddy, RIP Magic Chanteuse thread right here in this Artists thread and it will go unmol

Funny - but I already tested out that theory when I started a Stanley Cowell - RIP thread in Miscellaneous Non-political and you moved it to Artists. Rather hypocritical on your part.

What I am more curious about is, what kind of money was Spector pulling in for his production/songwriting credits?  I've never really gotten a handle on such things and been somewhat curious about it.  What did he pull in annually in the 21st century? How does it compare to his peak?

If you wrote a half-dozen "hits" in the 90s - what are you getting nowadays? Is the money all dried up?

Just now, Dan Gould said:

What I am more curious about is, what kind of money was Spector pulling in for his production/songwriting credits?  I've never really gotten a handle on such things and been somewhat curious about it.  What did he pull in annually in the 21st century? How does it compare to his peak

By all accounts, Spector was living large well into the last part of the 20th Century, probably beyond. Large, lonely, and deranged. He had owned the label (Philles) and to my knowledge never sold it. Plus, he "attached" his name to a LOT of the hits. Publishing, I'm not sure about. But he never ran out of money, at least not that I've heard.

Also, remember, he was producing both Lennon & Harrison post-Beatles (to varying effectiveness) and still got projects/offers with some periodicity through the 70s. Some, like the Leonard Cohen album, worked, some, like the one with Dion, did not. And some, like the abandoned project with Cher, show a guy losing focus, but not skills. But focus, losing it big time. Distracted, paranoid, all that good stuff. That single with Cher is marvelously intricate and emotionally chilling (and totally devoid of commercial potential), but I guess that was all Spector could really get done. Marathon, obsessive studio time with first call players wasn't as cheap as it once was, and a crazy man who's no longer on top...patience thins quickly. And it should. Method to the madness only works when the method gets results. And "the industry" had definitely moved on/past him in any number of ways.

Stories of a paranoid (possibly coke-fueled) gun-nut were "common" even then...and then, Ronnie began to talk...to be honest, when he committed the murder, my first reaction was "well, THAT took a lot longer that I expected it to".

But as far as money, the guy knew how the business worked, and guys like that never run out of money.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Let it stand.

To my knowledge, I have never heard her.  However, I don't believe we have ever had a thread before about a musician or vocalist in the miscellaneous section because their work was deemed unfit for the 'Artists' heading.  

Jim, you also made a dig at her in an unrelated thread.  Don't think that the deliberate misspelling of her name went unnoticed, either.  At this point, you're just being contentious and classless because you can be.

Edited by Justin V

3 minutes ago, Justin V said:

To my knowledge, I have never heard her.  However, I don't believe we have ever had a thread before about a musician or vocalist in the miscellaneous section because their work was deemed unfit for the 'Artists' heading.  

Jim, you also made a dig at her in an unrelated thread.  Don't think that the deliberate misspelling if her name went unnoticed, either.  At this point, you're just being contentious and classless because you can be.

Hey, moderators don't have to worry about moderation, doncha know?

But I've not yet murdered anybody (that you know about, anyway!).

Credit where credit is due, ok?

1 minute ago, bresna said:

Hey, moderators don't have to worry about moderation, doncha know?

Oh, please. There's a simple procedural ploy here that you could have made months(S) ago and still can make. If you stop whining about a marginal pop talent long enough, you can still figure it out.

Hell, there's two procedural ploys that you can make to get what you wnat. But you have to ploy them, don't whine to me about shit and then expect me to help you with it.

Whining is the most impotent way to get shit done.