“Dear Martin, P.S.: More Jazz Tributes To Martin Luther King Jr.”

ghost of miles

A sequel to the previous Night Lights program of MLK jazz tributes Dear Martin is now available for online listening. It includes music from Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, and Wadada Leo Smith:

Dear Martin, P.S.: More Jazz Tributes To Martin Luther King Jr.

Edited by ghost of miles

9 hours ago, bertrand said:

Which Hutcherson piece?

“A Time To Go,” from Patterns. James Spaulding wrote it. A bit of a mystery, though—in Michael Cuscuna’s liner notes to the 1980 LP release, he says Spaulding composed it upon hearing of MLK’s assassination. But the CD lists the recording date of the album as March 14, 1968. So either the date’s off, or perhaps Spaulding dedicated/titled it in honor of King after King’s death three weeks later.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

That is why I asked! This has always puzzled me. Maybe it was titled later. Or the date is wrong. There is someone who might have an idea.

I can’t remember if Spaulding mentions this composition in his memoir or not—will check tomorrow when I’m at work. I might also message him about it through Facebook.

• 1 year later...