Rare Gerald Wilson rehearsal takes, PJ-100

Mark Stryker

Rara Avis

I was flipping through the jazz 45s at Street Corner Music yesterday in Oak Park, Mich. (just north of Detroit), and came across this remarkable find. The first thing that caught my eye was that it doesn't require the standard 45 rpm adapter. Then I saw that that the artist was Detroiter Gerald Wilson. Then I saw that the tracks are rehearsals/studio chatter. Fantastic to hear Gerald in his prime at 45 years old in 1964 working with the cats on the music. David Brent Johnson reminded me of a discographical note included in the Gerald Wilson set on Mosaic for the January 8, 1964 session: “A promotional 45 single for radio (Pacific Jazz 100) was issued with edited versions of “Caprichios” and “Eric” with some studio chatter and section rehearsals. The master tape of the rehearsal sequences no longer exist.”

I know that this copy came out of the collection of a former disc jockey. I assume the label put it out as promotional item that DJs could play on the air as a special feature -- akin to the practice of labels issuing promos of radio-specific artist interviews and related tracks. In any case, what a cool treasure. One other quirk -- one side is 45 rpm, the other is 33-1/3. Oh, yeah, I paid exactly $1.

gerald 1.jpg

Edited by Mark Stryker

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Good to see that record ended in the hands of an expert where it belongs. :tup

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Very cool find, I must say and yes, this is like me finding the only known recording of the Four Sounds before they were the Three Sounds. It got into the right hands.

Yeah - thanks!

Lord lists this single

Los Angeles, January 8, 1964
  Aram Pacific Jazz PJ80, CDP7-93414-2 [CD]
  Caprichos (1) Pacific Jazz PJ80, CDP7-93414-2 [CD], A-100
    (33rpm) (ed)
  Eric Pacific Jazz PJ80, CDP7-93414-2 [CD], B-100
    (45rpm) (ed)
Note:

Pacific Jazz PJ80(mono) = ST80(stereo).
A promotional 45 single for radio (Pacific Jazz 100) was issued with edited versions as shown with some studio chatter and section rehearsals.

The master tape of the rehearsal sequences no longer exist. (Source : Mosaic MD5-198 [CD] liner notes).
All above titles also on Mosaic MD5-198 [CD].

Edited by romualdo

Re-reading the initial post, a detail about that initial statement struck me:
Quote:
The first thing that caught my eye was that it doesn't require the standard 45 rpm adapter.

Is it really such a rare thing in the States for a 7" record NOT to have the huge centerhole? FWIW, all the 7" records on the JAZZTONE label that I have seen only have the small center hole. And the fact that these are 33rpm records certainly cannot make all the difference because offhand I can think of several labels over here (notably some budget labels) where the 7" singles and EPs (33 but also 45 rpm) just have the small center hole.
Another variation on that theme are those EPs or singles where the center is filled too but is pre-punched so it can be broken out "for those who thus desire" (but usually hasn't been - if those secondhand ones you usually see are anthing to go by). This seems to be particularly common in the UK (HMV, Parlophone and elsewhere too) but also on (Swedish) Metronome, for example: (see below). So what's the deal overall with this "small-centerholed" 7-incher and is this really such a special feature? 

40367380pa.jpg

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 1/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, HutchFan said:

Nice catch!  :tup 

I've never heard of a record that's 33 RPM on one side and 45 RPM on the other.  Very odd.  That makes it an even cooler artifact. :D 

That seems rather unusual. How would you even make it.  Must have been very limited. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

That seems rather unusual. How would you even make it.  

Not that sophisticated as you make pressing matrices for both sides independently. But costly if the number of copies pressed is low and it is given away free of charge, as you would expect of a promo.

15 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Is it really such a rare thing in the States for a 7" record NOT to have the huge centerhole? FWIW, all the 7" records on the JAZZTONE label that I have seen only have the small center hole. So what's the deal overall with this "small-centerholed" 7-incher and is this really such a special feature? 

AFAIK all (or the vast majority) Australian 7" singles & EPs came with the small center-hole - I've never seen an aussie "large center-hole" 7"

5 hours ago, romualdo said:

AFAIK all (or the vast majority) Australian 7" singles & EPs came with the small center-hole - I've never seen an aussie "large center-hole" 7"

I'm not a "45 guy" so it struck me as odd in context -- I came upon it after flipping through maybe 100 or more 45s all with a big center whole. So I noticed it right away. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:24 AM, mikeweil said:

Would be interesting if these are different from the LP takes. Any chance to put these on Soundcloud?

I have to get it digitized. I have a friend who can help. Don't hold your breath, but I'll put it on my to-do list. A lot of folks want to hear this -- including guitarist Anthony Wilson, who I'm sure you know is Gerald's son.