Album of the Week - what do people already have???

Rooster_Ties

Your first choice from what you have already, or what would you would be willing to buy in the next 10 days????  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, here are some titles I'm thinking of picking for my Album of the Week, for the week of 5/4 - 5/10. (And I may expand this list (slightly) over the next 24 hours.)

Herbie Hanckock "The Prisoner" (a U.S. RVG title, cheap and easy to find if you don't have it)

--- Larger band, "Gil Evans"-ish writing, fairly progressive sidemen, particularly Joe Henderson on this one.

Andrew Hill "Lift Every Voice" (relatively recent Conn, 2001)

--- Yeah the voices are weird (but they've grown on me), but you got both Woody Shaw and Lee Morgan (on different sessions), plus Bennie Maupin on one of the sessions (and Carlos Garnett on the other one) - both on tenor (Maupin may play flute and/or bass clarinet too - can't remember).

Andrew Hill "Grass Roots" (relatively recent Conn, 2000)

--- the most accessable of all of Hill's dates, you got both Woody Shaw and Lee Morgan (again, on different sessions), plus Booker Ervin and Carlos Garnett (on different sessions).

Booker Ervin "Structurally Sound" (relatively recent Conn, 2001)

--- With my main man, Charles Tolliver!! (And John Hicks too!!)

Jackie McLean "Jacknife" (very recent Conn, 2002)

--- Also with Charles Tolliver!! (And with Lee Morgan, although they're only on one track together)

Chick Corea - "The Complete 'IS' Sessions" (very recent Conn, 2002)

--- God damn, I love this album (disc #1 anyway), can't get enough of it!! Bennie Maupin is on fire!!!!!!!!! Also includes Woody Shaw (although in more of a supporting role). Jack Dejohnette, Dave Holland. This was damn near one of the best CD's I bought all of last year. I had heard a couple of these tracks before, on the inferior gray-market releases of some of this material, and never paid too much attention to them. But the sound is so much better on this release, and the performance and vibe is "kick-f*cking-ass!!!!" (if you'll pardon me and my "Aric" moment!!! ;) )

In particular, if I were to pick the Corea "IS" sessions, do most people already have this one???

Gotta warn you - it ain't cheap ($27.00 list price, for a double-disc set), although there are a few at www.half.com (right now)for like $15 to $17 or so, plus shipping. Still, that's like $20 total, and really - disc #1 is the disc you gotta have. (Disc #2, I could take or leave - it's a lot more unstructured and frankly, really "out". Disc #1 is the monster!!!)

Is there any interest in doing Corea's "IS" sessions?? Or would I have only just a few interested people??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be more direct...

If you don't already have Chick Corea's "Complete 'IS' Sessions" (and you would NOT be willing to buy it in the next 1-2 weeks), please say so... I won't be offended, I promise!!!

:)

Same thing goes with all the titles listed above, particularly the Hill titles. I know not everyone likes Hill, and that's OK.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Also, be sure to add comments to this thread about which of these titles you'd be interested in doing, since you can only vote for one title in the Poll.

AAJ has polls with more than 10 items, and polls where you can vote for multiple items in the same poll. Wonder if you can do that here too?? (I mean I know you can't now, but I wonder if the software has settings to allow this.)

I have all the albums you list, so I'm not really representative of your target for your poll, but I would be happy with any of your choices.

I've gotten used to the voices on Lift Every Voice too, but I'm concerned that there might be some who couldn't get past them.

I would love to have the Complete "IS" Sessions also. I think the price may be prohibitive for some. If price wasn't a problem, it would be my first choice here. This cd really surprised me. I didn't think I'd like it so much.

I feel like a kid in a candy store trying to choose the best one. It's too hard, they'd all be good.

I think if it came down to it for me, I'd go with Grass Roots, Structurally Sound or Jacknife due to the price not being too high.

The Hancock would be good, but I would like to spend some time with some of the other albums since I've already listened to the Prisoner a lot already.

This brings up a good question about the scope of the album of the week. Should it be a midline title? Should it be an album that is easily available? A classic title? Are connoisseurs okay?

Sometimes, I wish we had a couple albums of the week going at the same time. One for pre-1980's, and one for newer stuff, etc... The problem would be that it would limit participation because we wouldn't be able to participate in both the threads at the same time due to the expense.

Good luck!

:rsmile:

I own all of the discs in question as well, but I cast my vote for the Herbie.

BTW, even though I haven't been contributing to the AOW threads, I have been following them and listening to the discs in question when I have the time. Now that I'm out of work for a while, I'll be able to participate more.

Well, shit, we did "Live at the Lighthouse" - and that sure wasn't a mid-line price title!! ;)

I think single-disc Conns are definitely NOT too expensive to pick.

( Corea's "IS" sessions is a double-disc Conn, which ain' t cheap. )

Anything up to $16 seems reasonable to me....

Well, shit, we did "Live at the Lighthouse" - and that sure wasn't a mid-line price title!! ;)

I think single-disc Conns are definitely NOT too expensive to pick.

( Corea's "IS" sessions is a double-disc Conn, which ain' t cheap. )

Anything up to $16 seems reasonable to me....

Rooster Ties,

I'm just bringing up questions I've thought of. I would never want to put so many rules on the thing that the AoTW stops being fun. I've been looking forward to it every week. I'm finding myself being opened up to new things.

I agree about Conns being cool. I think anything up to $18.99 is reasonable, but I was just concerned for those on a tight budget. Heck, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something new. :)

couw,

Your point about time is a good one. I haven't had the time to participate as much as I'd like either. I'm still on disc one of the Lee Morgan. I think multi-disc sets are hard to get into in only a week.

Alexander,

I'm glad you're still following the AoTW. You were one of the first ones to show enthusiasm about doing it in the first place. I'd love to hear your perspective more on the AoTW.

:rsmile:

Any of these will suit me as they are in my collection in one form or another.

When it comes to buying it could be a bit tricky, in the UK it's not always easy to get hold of a disc in reasonable time.

Edited by JohnS

When it comes to buying it could be a bit tricky, in the UK it's not always easy to get hold of a disc in reasonable time.

Maybe we could choose the AOtW further in advance to help with this problem? What if we choose the albums for the next month and then make sure that we are always aware of what we are going to listen to for the following month.

Any thoughts?

I voted for the Hancock, simply because it's the only one I have, but I'd be willing to get either Hill or Booker. I had the McLean and didn't care for it, so if that album gets the nod, I'll follow that thread with great interest (see if there's something I missed the first time around; wouldn't be the first time).

I had the McLean and didn't care for it, so if that album gets the nod, I'll follow that thread with great interest (see if there's something I missed the first time around; wouldn't be the first time).

Wow, that's interesting Al. My feelings on JACKNIFE are probably the exact opposite from yours. :P I think Jackie absolutely burns on this date, and plays some of the most fiery solos I've ever heard from him. I'll save the rest of my comments for later, if this album is chosen.

I still haven't decided which one I'm going to vote for, I have most of them. But I guess if I had to narrow it to three I'd go with LIFT EVERY VOICE, JACKNIFE, and THE PRISONER. Too hard to choose, although I haven't given THE PRISONER enough time, so maybe I should vote for that, as it would give me a good reason to re-visit it (just like BLACK MARKET, that was mentioned in another thread as being an upcoming AOTW).

I have all of these and could have gone for any of them, but I voted for the Chick Corea. I've never seen this one mentioned too much on any of the boards I frequent, and would like to see what other people think of it. I've enjoyed it quite a bit since I bought it, especially the first disc. I'm sure no matter which of these titles is finally chosen, I'll learn something new or gain some insight.

Thanks Vibes.

Even though the Chick hasn't gotten a lot of votes, it sounds like quite a few people here have it (everyone who's responded to this thread, except Big Al). So, at this point I'm slightly leaning towards the Corea "IS" discs, but I haven't decided completely yet. I'll decide soon, probably within the next 24-to-48 hours.

( I figure if there's that much interest in the McLean (and there clearly is!!), then someone else will pick it for their Album o' the Week. )

( If Tolliver were on the whole McLean album (and not just half), I'd be more inclined to pick it. And I agree that it's one of Jackie's finest recordings. All three of the McLean dates with Tolliver are outstanding, IMHO. Absolutely some of the very best work in Jackie's entire catalog. )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I like what Rooster Ties is doing here: putting out a list of potential nominees, and letting everyone vote on what they'd like to discuss. If I ever get nominated, this is the approach I'm gonna use.

Great idea, Rooster Ties. (And yes, I'll likely participate if the McLean gets chosen. I mean, I did hear it once. Once. :g )

I've got "Grass Roots", "Structurally Sound", and "Jacknife" (in both LP form and in the Mosaic).

I voted for Ervin because I never have warmed to it very much even though it's got a killer lineup. I want to hear what everyone else thinks.

Hill would be my second choice. I like it for it's accessibility, even though it's not particularly representative of Andrew's work.

Third would be Jackie Mac, but I don't know how the new release might differ from what I already have.

Even though the Chick hasn't gotten a lot of votes, it sounds like quite a few people here have it (everyone who's responded to this thread, except Big Al).

I also don't have it, although I didn't make that explicitly known in my above post. I might pick it up on CD, although I have seen an Lp version for much cheaper. However, it's obvious the 2-CD set will have far more tracks. For anyone who has both (or just the CD version), does it say how many additional tracks are on it (the recently released set), in comparison to the original?

The Corea "IS" 2-CD set is the only way to go for this material. Both in terms of Sound Quality (which basically sucks on nearly all the previous issues), as well as completeness of the material.

Here's the track listing...

=====================================

1. It (Corea) - 0:30

2. The Brain (Corea) - 10:10

3. This (Corea) - 8:18

4. Song of the Wind (Corea) - 8:05

5. Sundance (Corea) - 10:02

6. The Brain [alternate take] (Corea) - 7:26

7. This [alternate take] (Corea) - 11:49

1. Song of the Wind [alternate take] (Corea) - 6:46

2. Sundance (Corea) - 12:28

3. Jamala (Holland) - 14:07

4. Converge (Corea) - 7:59

5. Is (Corea) - 28:54

6. Jamala [alternate take] (Corea) - 8:57

7. Converge [alternate take] (Corea) - 7:59

The alternate takes are particularly significant (on disc #1, in particular), because (if I remember right), most of them feature Chick on electric (Fender Rhodes, I think) on one version of each tune, and then on accoustic piano on the other version. Maybe not every pair of alternates, but I think this is true on several of them.

I used to have one of the many gray-market CD issues of some of this material (I think it was called "The Brain"), and it was a mish-mash of about 30-40% of the material, at most.

That said, anybody with one or more of the incomplete prior issues are certainly encouraged to participate - if I should happen to pick the Corea "IS" discs, which I am (kinda) leaning towards, maybe... (At least at this moment.)

...does it say how many additional tracks are on it (the recently released set), in comparison to the original?

I should have also said that there really hasn't ever been any kind of decent release of any of this material (prior to the Conn release in 2002). Overlapping releases, on many labels - and nearly a dozen reissues on other labels (most gray-market), with even a more confusing collection of some of these tunes. Mislabeled, crappy sound, everything you could ever fear...

I had very low expectations for this release ("IS") when I first heard about it coming out as a 2CD Conn. How I ever took the plunge, I really don't know - and can't really remember either. I may have sampled it in the store, is my only guess. I sure wouldn't have bought it without giving it a spin first.

That said - it turned out (for me) to be the very best of all the Conns released in 2002. (I already had the McLean Mosaic.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

John's right i'm still waiting for my copy of MIngus Mingus Mingus !

From the choices above I'd go for Jackknife.

Thanks for the info, RT. I'll probably end up buying this (the 2-CD set) but not right away 'cuz I've got a bunch of other stuff to listen to first. Still a couple more weeks until this one is discussed anyway, assuming it's the one you're going to choose.

I'm still leaning towards the Corea "IS" sessions as my choice.

I know, I know, more people want "Jackife", but if there's that much interest in it - then it can certainly be picked for another week.

I'll make my decision by this Sunday night (April 27th), so people have a whole week to find the title, if they don't already have it, and spin it a few times.

( And actually, I'm quite pleased that there's been a bunch of interest in nearly all these titles (based on the poll results). "Lift Every Voice" is the only one getting 2 votes, and the rest of the votes are pretty much evenly spread out. )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

...just a thought. of course, it's your pick so pick whatever you'd like. however keep in mind anything other than a single CD is going to get less participation. 2 or 3 cd sets (lighthouse, is) are just too much music for most to thoughtfully digest well enough to give any substantial comment on in a week. plus, the ball was dropped last week, so whoever goes next should have one a lot of people have so we can all get back in the game. just and idea...