Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Soulstation1

P.S.  Am I the only one that thinks that "Flamenco Sketches" is a ripoff of "Peace Piece"?  <_<

I believe Bill Evans shared your opinion

The opening chords/vamp are the same ones that Evans used for Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time" which developed into Peace Piece. I think Blue in Green is the one he claims authorship of.

I actually like the Gold CD version better than either of the SACD versions. (Good thing Greg isn't on this board.)

Quick answer: I've got the Miles and Trane box, and I've also got the gold disc from - what? - like 8 or was it 10 years go.

You guys all know about all the different issues of things better than I do. All I remember is that (at the time) the gold-disc I got was the first ever speed-corrected issue of KoB, which is the whole reason I got it.

I figure I've got all the extra takes on the box (what few there are that have been released legit, complete takes or otherwise), and I've got the gold disc, when I just want to hear KoB in the correct track-order, as nature intended.

I could care less about the "gold"-disc aspect of it -- I'd be just as happy with the standard new CD reissue, with the one bonus track.

EDIT: I might have it on vinyl too, probably not in the best (nor worst) shape. A buddy of mine found a cleaner vinyl copy several years ago, and I think he gave me his old one. It's a columbia reissue of some sort, probably not the first pressing, but old enough to have the original cover art.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

P.S.  Am I the only one that thinks that "Flamenco Sketches" is a ripoff of "Peace Piece"?   <_<

The opening chords/vamp are the same ones that Evans used for Leonard Bernstein's "Some Other Time" which developed into Peace Piece. I think Blue in Green is the one he claims authorship of.

I actually like the Gold CD version better than either of the SACD versions. (Good thing Greg isn't on this board.)

I assume you mean the other Greg, the one not on this thread? :P

I have the the "normal release" LP purchased in 1980 (or 1979; hard to be sure at this point), and the new remaster now in the stores. Naturally, I prefer the old LP, even if it is mastered at the "wrong" speed-----I'm just too used to it. Almost impossible to choose a favorite track from an album that flows so organically. So What...Freddie Freeloader...Blue In Green...one of those? No, I can't choose.

I like the version in the box set. Hard to pick a favorite tune. No weak points at all.

Going slightly off-topic for a moment, I like the predecessor Milestones almost as much as KOB.

Granted, the presence of Red Garland as opposed to Bill Evans (and Wynton) changes the sound of the sextet, but there are some pretty special moments on that side. Like when Red quotes Miles' solo from Now's The Time (from when Miles was with Bird). That was the subject of one of my very first posts. Or Miles comping on piano when Red didn't show. Or the tune that REALLY introduced Miles' direction towards modality (that was most associated w/So What) - Milestones. Or Cannonball working "Skip To My Lou" into his solo. Or the hard swing of the trio's rendition of Billy Boy- Philly Joe is the shit! I even loved the weird reverb on that side- it was part of the package. I listened to that one A LOT in my earlier years, and I still love it. It always puts me in my "happy place".

The group definitely was gelling more by the time of the KOB session, but there's a raw energy on Milestones that's really compelling. Kind of the same reckless abandon that's on Round Midnight.

Edited by Free For All

I have five fingers on my hand, which one is my favorite?

The middle one of course; how else could you drive? :w

:lol::lol::lol::lol: THAT is the truth!

Nothing like some Kona Gold going backwards out the snout! It's priceless stuff like this that keeps me coming back for more. :lol:

Yes I always thought of that as how you wave 'good morning' in Rhode Island.

`````

As for KOB can ya'll talk about that supposed tape speed mastering malady from the early LPs onward. I recall an interview with Teo where he said that was "All Bunk".

As for KOB can ya'll talk about that supposed tape speed mastering malady from the early LPs onward. I recall an interview with Teo where he said that was "All Bunk".

couw is playing Freddie Freeloader off his pitch corrected CD and 70s LP simultaneously at the moment. (Oh the wonders of technology!) The LP is definitely faster (and it's not my set up!) and I can even hear differences in pitch.

My ears may be shite and my set up is only so-so, but whatever they did, the sound is different. I do not have a preference for either version.

(LP just finished: CD still has some 40 seconds to go...)

As for KOB can ya'll talk about that supposed tape speed mastering malady from the early LPs onward.  I recall an interview with Teo where he said that was "All Bunk".

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Teo said something like this.

He has said publicly that releasing the Miles box sets with all those previously unreleased takes was wrong, wrong, wrong. He would maybe be half right when it comes to that last disc (#6) in the "Miles & Gil" Evans set. BUT, he was saying it specifically about the most recent "Jack Johnson" set, and it's multiple hours of unreleased material. (And he never mentioned the "Miles & Gil" set specifically (where the charge might hold a little weight), but was talking about the whole series, in total.)

When it comes to the Miles catalog on Columbia -- basically, anyone doing anything different that what Teo did, is subject to criticism. KoB's speed/pitch problems are apparently in the same category.

Going slightly off-topic for a moment, I like the predecessor Milestones almost as much as KOB.

Granted, the presence of Red Garland as opposed to Bill Evans (and Wynton) changes the sound of the sextet, but there are some pretty special moments on that side. Like when Red quotes Miles' solo from Now's The Time (from when Miles was with Bird). That was the subject of one of my very first posts. Or Miles comping on piano when Red didn't show. Or the tune that REALLY introduced Miles' direction towards modality (that was most associated w/So What) - Milestones. Or Cannonball working "Skip To My Lou" into his solo. Or the hard swing of the trio's rendition of Billy Boy- Philly Joe is the shit! I even loved the weird reverb on that side- it was part of the package. I listened to that one A LOT in my earlier years, and I still love it. It always puts me in my "happy place".

The group definitely was gelling more by the time of the KOB session, but there's a raw energy on Milestones that's really compelling. Kind of the same reckless abandon that's on Round Midnight.

The Milestones material on the Miles/Coltrane box set got me to thinking about alternate takes. It seems to me that in this case they made the right choice everytime. Is that just because they're the ones with which I'm most familiar?

Edited by medjuck

• 10 months later...

Bump...

I was in the store and noticed a new "dual disc" version of Kind of Blue. One side is cd, and the other is a dvd.

The DVD portion contains "the Entire album in 5.1 Surround Sound and enhanced LPCM Stereo, and a 25-minute making-of documentary, Made In Heaven, featuring black-and-white film and stills, the voices of Miles Davis and Bill Evans, plus interviews and more. "

I'm not sure I'm gonna jump on the dual disc bandwagon. Does anyone have this already? Is the cd portion the same remastering as the '97 version? Does that documentary make this worth pursuing either way?

P.S.  Am I the only one that thinks that "Flamenco Sketches" is a ripoff of "Peace Piece"?  <_<

I think the improvisation idea in "Flamenco Sketches" -- the cycle of five different scales, "played as long as the soloist wishes" -- is just as important as the vamp, and I'm not aware of Evans claiming credit for that. (Interestingly, the idea pops up again on "Spanish Key" ten years later. I was listening to BB over the summer and it blew my mind how much of it reflected stuff like KoB, Porgy & Bess ("Prayer" vs. the rubato section of "Bitches Brew"), and Sketches of Spain (the orchestration on "Pharaoh's Dance", Miles playing over the vamps on "Solea"/"Miles Runs the Voodoo Down".)

I own the plain vanilla mid-90s version that's speed-corrected. Favorite tune? Not sure. I'd have to go with "Blue in Green" simply because all three soloists are so inspired, but every other tune is mindboggling. And I feel like I should have said "Flamenco Sketches" or "So What".

Here's another question -- who's your favorite KoB soloist? I think Coltrane takes the prize -- his playing on "So What" (that part that makes Bill Evans so agitated) and "Freddie Freeloader" is out of control. And "Blue in Green" has to be one of his most poignant ballad performances. "Flamenco Sketches" too.

Guy

I listened to the album when it was first released in France on the Philips label.

Got hold of the original US Columbia stereo version (still my favorite copy).

Also have the 'Miles Davis & John Coltrane' Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961 box.

Not seeking 'newer' releases.

Favorite tune has changed over the years. When I relisten to his now I'm glued to 'Blue In Green'