The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts Acquires Collections of George Avakian and Anahid Ajemia

Hardbopjazz

Make sure to read the full article on the link below. Some amazing unheard music to all of us. 

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts Acquires Collections of George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian

Rich Archives Document Illustrious Careers of Record Executive, Violinist and Their Impact on 20th Century Music 

Contains Rare Materials and Recordings from Composers and Performers Including Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, John Cage, Henry Cowell, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Johnny Mathis, Sonny Rollins, Ravi Shankar, Fats Waller and Others

March 31, 2014 - The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts has acquired the archives of George Avakian and Anahid Ajemian, the husband and wife whose remarkable careers each helped shape the music industry, as well as produce and record some of its greatest stars. The Avakian Collection will provide the most complete documentation of the work of a 20th century recording executive, whose career with Columbia Records and other labels encompasses a golden age of recorded jazz, popular and classical music. The Ajemian Collection offers access to one of the foremost violin and piano duos of its time, which commissioned, premiered and recorded works by some of the most prominent classical composers of the 20th century. Together, their collections form an extraordinary resource for the study of jazz, popular and modern classical music, the recording industry, and more...

https://www.nypl.org/press/press-release/march-31-2014/new-york-public-library-performing-arts-acquires-collections

14 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

Sounds incredible! I hope some of this, at least the photos and interviews, are digitized and put on-line.  I hope the same for the music, but that is surely wishing for too much.  

Maybe Mosaic will be interested at some point, as with the Savory Collection...

I'd hope for all of those things but then I read this 

After the collections are processed by archivists and preservationists, they will be made available for researchers at The Library for the Performing Arts in Lincoln Center.

And think, highly unlikely.  You have to prove your bona fides and you'll be allowed to listen and take notes or whatever.

I think you're right, Dan. I've listened to a number of concerts at this place. Considering this was acquired nearly six years ago, I never came across any of the recordings at the library. I've even searched tonight the catalog and didn't see anything.

https://catalog.nypl.org/search~S1?/j*LDCO+796+%5BCD%5D/j*ldco++++796+[cd]/-53,-1,0,B/browse