Covid vaccination: poll

Covid vaccination: survey  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Brad said:

Thanks. Wasn’t easy to get an appointment. It’s like playing the lottery. You have to get lucky. Now I need to go through the whole process again for the 2nd shot. 

What state are you in?   I've had the same experience in California but I keep reading that I will be contacted re: 2nd shot. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still concerned about some of the possible side effects, though I am at risk for my age and a couple of health factors. So far, the general public in Tennessee in our county has to be 75+ years of age to be eligible. Since I spend a lot of time at home, being retired, I am not as concerned as some people who are out in public much more often.

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

What state are you in?   I've had the same experience in California but I keep reading that I will be contacted re: 2nd shot. 

NJ. We received an email tonight saying we would be contacted by tomorrow night to make the appointment. Hopefully, that is true. 

• 2 weeks later...

Grateful to have gotten first Pfizer shot this morning in Chicago...they scheduled second shot before you left the Hospital.  I really worry about older folks who are not tech-savvy, don't have computers or smartphones, or fast wifi.  Somehow society as as whole has to do a better job of protecting it's more fragile members.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Brad said:

NJ. We received an email tonight saying we would be contacted by tomorrow night to make the appointment. Hopefully, that is true. 

Now I did get the notification for second shot.  

22 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Still waiting to hear about availability of vaccine shots in Houston.  Wasn't Biden supposed to fix everything that the big, bad Trump did wrong?

Yeh and he's had 3 weeks. 

Edited by medjuck

3 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Now I did get the notification for second shot.  

We haven’t yet and now the county where we received the shot (not the one we live in, which is totally disorganized when it comes to shots) is restricting vaccinations to county residents. It’s beginning to look like we may have to travel to South NJ near Philadelphia (we live in NW NJ near NY), an almost 2 hour drive, to get the second shot. 

We were advised by everybody we asked to sign up for as many waitlists as we could, and did four - Collin county, Baylor Scott-White (our health care provider network), CVS, and a local grocery store/pharmacy.

We were in the 79,XXX range of the county list and so far, they're getting to the low 40,XXX range. CVS, good luck on that one. But BSW, with no warning, sent us an email last week saying hey, your time is here, sign up now! Sports were going fairly quickly, but Brenda was actually able to get hers yesterday, and I am getting mine on Friday. Brenda said that the facility was incredibly well organized, no delays. We'll see how that goes by Friday, but still...

Also, the BSW program is scheduling you for your 2nd Dose before they release you - three weeks, to the day.

We are fortunate to have group health insurance with a network that has their shit together (and that both of us are old enough to be prioritized....). All it takes is a coordinated will towards a common end, with everybody on the same page. Would that this was in place across the board, across the nation, across all demographics. We're getting there, finally. It ain't a job for posers, profiteers, pirates, and/or otherwise fraudulent actors. This is not a reality show, this is reality itself.

NJ has a very screwed up system, in my opinion. You have the NJ Vaccine Scheduling System, which is run by the state. Then you have what are called mega centers, six of them, each run by someone else and each having their own website. Then, in some counties you have certain doctors providing shots and then you have Shoprite providing vaccinations but not in all locations.  It would have made more sense had they turned this over to the local pharmacies be cause they’re used to giving vaccinations. Instead, it’s become a bureaucracy. 

Edited by Brad

What you're describing is not a bureaucracy, it's old school laissez-faire, every man for himself, them that's got shall get, etc. Works great for mousetraps, shirtcollars, and salted-in-the-shell sunflower seeds, but...no centralization only works where the end and the means do not have a commonality of meaning. Apparently two of the three words "public health crisis"  have yet to reach such a consensual agreement...

Does NJ have "sign up" options, like we do here? OTOH, it seems absurd that people should have to submit multiple requests to get a call back from somebody, first one wins! But otoh, if we had depended on the county...good luck on that one, never mind CVS/etc.

Public. Health. Crisis.

4 hours ago, Brad said:

We haven’t yet and now the county where we received the shot (not the one we live in, which is totally disorganized when it comes to shots) is restricting vaccinations to county residents. It’s beginning to look like we may have to travel to South NJ near Philadelphia (we live in NW NJ near NY), an almost 2 hour drive, to get the second shot. 

Arggg....  You might try just going to the place you got the first one 4 weeks (or whenever was recommended for the kind you got) and showing the proof that had the first one.  That's what they're telling people to do at Dodger Stadium if they don't get a second appointment. 

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

What you're describing is not a bureaucracy, it's old school laissez-faire, every man for himself, them that's got shall get, etc. Works great for mousetraps, shirtcollars, and salted-in-the-shell sunflower seeds, but...no centralization only works where the end and the means do not have a commonality of meaning. Apparently two of the three words "public health crisis"  have yet to reach such a consensual agreement...

Does NJ have "sign up" options, like we do here? OTOH, it seems absurd that people should have to submit multiple requests to get a call back from somebody, first one wins! But otoh, if we had depended on the county...good luck on that one, never mind CVS/etc.

Public. Health. Crisis.

We signed up with the state and one of the mega sites. With the state, you have to find an appointment and with the mega site, they tell you when they have an opening. 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Arggg....  You might try just going to the place you got the first one 4 weeks (or whenever was recommended for the kind you got) and showing the proof that had the first one.  That's what they're telling people to do at Dodger Stadium if they don't get a second appointment. 

The problem is you won’t get in if you don’t have an appointment and even if we do, it’s a different county. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

FWIW, Dr Scott Gottlieb was saying on CNBC earlier this week that we're about to reach the point where supply exceeds demand and that vaccination will probably be open to the public by early April.

This is what I am waiting for ... getting Mom vaccinated was postponed because she had a pain shot for her back and the doctor said no Covid vaccine for two weeks, and now she had a fall this week and is headed to a rehab facility for her severely bruised shoulder.

I have been thinking that we aren't terribly far away when production ramps up enough that supply does start to exceed demand and the ability to get one or another will be no muss no fuss. Can't happen soon enough.

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

This is what I am waiting for ... getting Mom vaccinated was postponed because she had a pain shot for her back and the doctor said no Covid vaccine for two weeks, and now she had a fall this week and is headed to a rehab facility for her severely bruised shoulder.

I have been thinking that we aren't terribly far away when production ramps up enough that supply does start to exceed demand and the ability to get one or another will be no muss no fuss. Can't happen soon enough.

Yeah.  Even once it's open to the general public, it might initially be hard to get a shot because everybody will rush to get it.  But that initial rush will dissipate.  I'm in my early 40s and (appropriately) in the back of the queue, but am pretty confident that by the end of June I'll be vaccinated (and possibly as early as May).

One of the ironies of the scenario you describe is that, demand being relatively low is bad for our prospects of quickly crushing COVID.  I'm guessing we'll have undervaccinated areas of the country (and even more so, world - since Americans are more pro-vaxx than, say, Europeans) that will remain dangerous to visit for quite some time.  Just like we have CDC travel warnings for malaria or hepatitis, we'll probably say "country or region X has endemic COVID and we caution older travelers on going there".

Edited by Guy Berger

Just got back from my 1st shot and I have to say, this was the most organized thing I've been involved in...damn near forever. It was like Disney, only free.

Baylor Scott-White deserves some kind of global citation for getting this together like this, both for logistics and for execution. A-team at every level, I must say, even down to the parking garage directions (human and signages).

2nd dose was scheduled while signing in for the first.

Could not be easier. The line was long-ish) but it literally did not stop moving.

This is what you want to see, not just for yourself, but for everybody. This shit is working.

I got my 89-year-old father and 88-year-old mother vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine a week ago. Saw an alert on my phone around 10pm one night that slots were opening up in the next county over (about a 40 minute drive from their house), and immediately got on my computer and was able to schedule them both right away. Showed up at the designated date and time, and it could not have gone smoother. It was a drive-through operation being run by one of the local major hospital chains, set up in tents in a parking lot at a performing arts center, and despite the large number of cars converging on the location, the logistics were well-thought-out and we were in and out of there in a little more than a half-hour, including the mandatory 15-minute post-injection wait to make sure there were no adverse reactions. Several hours later, my mom had some of the common side effects that lasted for the next few days in varying degrees (headache, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue), which is a bit worrisome as most people are reporting side effects after the second dose, not the first. Given that she isn't in great health to begin with, I'm hoping she doesn't wind up really knocked for a loop after dose #2, which is already scheduled at the same location in two weeks.   

My wife had her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine this week (she works in a retirement/assisted living community), and felt really fatigued the day after and thought she was going to have to lie down at work. She came home that day and pretty much went straight to bed, but was back to normal the following day.

For myself, I've signed up on every waitlist that is available and hoping I'll be contacted by one of them sooner rather than later. 

Edited by Dave Garrett

It's still very difficult in Pennsylvania.  I'm 66 and can't get an appt. despite being eligible in two counties (Montgomery where I live, Chester where I work).  My wife got her second Pfizer shot yesterday at HUP, where she works.  She sees patients, so they rightly took care of her need.   Montgomery county is stating 6-12 week wait to even fulfill 1A.  Not good.