Malcolm Griffiths and Keith Nichols RIP

sidewinder

Just read the awful news on London Jazz News that both trombonist Malcolm Griffiths and pianist/arranger/bandleader Keith Nichols had both passed away (Nichols apparently due to covid).

Good memories of stellar performances from both these fine gents over the years. Truly sad news, may they RIP. :(

Edited by sidewinder

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Malcolm Griffith's playing with John Surman's 'Brass Project' stood out in that band, which is saying something.

Pretty sure I saw him with ‘Brass Project’. Certainly also saw him with Kenny Wheeler’s Big Band, Gil Evans UK Orchestra and Don Weller I think. Oh - and Stan Tracey’s Orchestra too. Never saw him with Westbrook though.

Keith Nichols a major loss as well, in the more traditional era of jazz. Excellent band leader and pianist/arranger.

Edited by sidewinder

17 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

don't know Nichols.

An authority on early jazz, especially New Orleans and Ragtime. His concerts were hugely entertaining and immaculately performed. The ‘Midnight Follies Orchestra’ and the ‘Blue Devils Orchestra’ were two prominent ones - the latter band I saw quite a few times and was much impressed with - arguably the best band of its type in Europe.

Edited by sidewinder

Thoughtful obituary for Malcolm Griffiths by Richard Williams - never realised that he had joined Buddy Rich, only to return home due to missing the cricket. Respect !

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/29/malcolm-griffiths-obituary

I think the very last gig I caught by him must have been the Kenny Wheeler 80th Birthday Big Band. Certainly, he was in the lineup and prominently featured for the 75th as well. Great combination of technique, fluency and power.

Edited by sidewinder