Joe Chambers - Back on Blue Note

bertrand

You should play it on a lower-quality hi-fi. I do!

:g

18 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Thank you for posting that, Jim.

As I had said, I have no financial interest in this record, just helping Joe get the word out - he is very excited about it! I appreciate the positive comments!

Bertrand.

so the dude lives in NC now, for real? How long has he lived there? He has family there or what?

He's still delivering strong like a mofo. Tarheel asskicking in motion, then.

And seriously, I did not bother to look at personnel or anything today, Amazon dropped it off, I put it right in, and I'm thinking, wow, this is really reminiscent of the Chambers/Bobby records, whoever is playing vibes is really getting it RIGHT. Retro but right.

And then I looked at the actual record to see who the vibist was, and OMG, it's Joe Chambers himself, not retro, REAL DEAL.

Has anybody covered Wayne's "Rio" since The Procrastinator"? Inspired choice!

Inspired record, period. Strong.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Has anybody covered Wayne's "Rio" since The Procrastinator"? Inspired choice!

You mean, other than Joe Chambers himself?  (Begging the question, since The Procrastinator was recorded?? -- or since The Procrastinator was released??)

Which -- as I eluded to above -- actually PRE-DATED(!) the release of the original version on The Procrastinator... so much, that the version on New World didn't even have a title! -- as per the back cover below.

Which begs another question: how did Joe come to know the tune (before it had ever even be released in 1978!), in order to cover it in 1976?

R-2390947-1435495833-5001.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wow, I had forgotten about that one! Dick Meza came as a surprise to me when I found it, because I had only known him from a few Fania records. Obviously more to him than just that one thing.

But THIS now begs the question - when was the title "Rio" given to it? Because here it's just called "Wayne Shorter's Bossa Nova".

1) Joe was teaching at UNC Wilmington. He does not anymore, but stayed there. I do think he has family there also.

2) I asked Joe about Rio. I thought I posted already, maybe not. Joe learned of the piece through Bobby Hutcherson, who of course was on The Procrastinator. It was in the repertoire of the Hutcherson/Land band. Joe said they played it a lot but it is not on any of the live bootlegs. Maybe on one of the two Left Bank tapes that I know exist because John Fowler told me they existed (he did not have tapes of the other two Left Bank concerts). Getting Left Bank setlists for my discographical research is why I got involved, but his majesty the detective was having none of that.

As for the title...I believe they never had a title for it when they played it, which suggests that it was not titled when Procrastinator was recorded, or maybe Bobby forgot it, 'Rio' is a tricky title to remember :) That is a question for Michael Cuscuna. Was it titled in Lion's paperwork? Wayne did not send in a lead sheet for copyright, it was copyrighted as part of the LP only.

So yes, Joe's 1976 version is not the first recorded, but it is the first released. I will check Tom Lord later for other versions. Joe recorded it again with an Italian group called Passport in 2011. I think the leader is Pietro Tonolo.

The Tom Lord discography lists many other songs called Rio since The Procrastinator. They are probably not all Wayne's song, but here are some likely candidates:

Jim Schapperoew 9/30/84

Peter Leitch Red Zone 11/16/85 CONFIRMED

Kent Jordan 1988 (his sister sings on Joe's new record)

Billy Pierce Rio 5/25-26/94 CONFIRMED

Dale Fielder Tribute To Wayne Shorter 1995 CONFIRMED

Louis Hayes Louis At Large 4/17/96 CONFIRMED

Abraham Burton Drifting Inward 2/22-23/98

Pietro Tonolo Passport 3/13-14/11 CONFIRMED

Joe Bagg 2012

Harvie S. Witchcraft 4/17/12

• 2 weeks later...