Bill Leslie

ListeningToPrestige

I remember hearing about him, I think our old friend Mr. Fenohr was looking for a copy and I spotted one and fulfilled his need. This was back when I was on the trail of Argo records, but without a true commitment to everything.

(Still never found the Richard Evans Home Cookin' thing, with Jack Wilson on piano. God still only knows if it was released. I know Evans told Eddie Higgins he remembers having photos taken outside of a soul food restaurant, for the cover.)

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about him, why he recorded so little, what happened to him. There are the two Argo albums, the one co-led with Thornel Schwartz and the one he led on his own, and the Larry Young session for Prestige? i guess, per JSngry, that he was a homey of Young's from Newark. 

But not a contemporary of Larry Young's -- I found from another source that he was born in 1925, which would make him more a contemporary of Thornel Schwartz. And like Schwartz, a Philadelphian, so Schwartz probably got him the gig on the Larry Young session.

I also found out that he played for some years with Louis Jordan.  So an old school rhythm and blues player taking on a free jazz classic. Interesting. And I found the Argo album on YouTube to his version of "Lonely Woman." Interesting. He really meets it head on.