Dr. Lonnie Smith - Breathe

mjzee

Release date March 26:

81HiglFsq9L._SL1200_.jpg

On this night the good doctor took the stage with an expanded line-up featuring Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar, Johnathan Blake on drums, John Ellis on tenor saxophone, Jason Marshall on baritone saxophone, Sean Jones on trumpet, and Robin Eubanks on trombone with special guest vocalist Alicia Olatuja on "Pilgrimage." Two additional studio tracks open and close the album, presenting the unique collaboration between Doc & Iggy Pop including a sublime cover of Donovan's 1966 hit "Sunshine Superman."

• 2 months later...

Ok, not making a value judgement here, but how is 'World Weeps" anything other than " Bernie's Tune" without the bridge and a (very) few pickup notes left out of the A section?

Anyway, it's a good record. I just hope them lawyers don't get frisky or anything.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:00 AM, relyles said:

I wonder what "night" that was taken from. I believe I saw the exact same group at the Montreal Jazz Festival a couple of years ago.

It was from 2017 at the Jazz Standard. The two top songs for me are Too Damn Hot and Pilgrimage, with Alicia Olatuja. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, not making a value judgement here, but how is 'World Weeps" anything other than " Bernie's Tune" without the bridge and a (very) few pickup notes left out of the A section?

Anyway, it's a good record. I just hope them lawyers don't get frisky or anything.

Those Bernie's Tune copyright infringement plaintiff lawyers are are truly ferocious. 

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Those Bernie's Tune copyright infringement plaintiff lawyers are are truly ferocious. 

Betcha $1 it's Public Domain, and not just in Canada.

Bernie's Tune - Wikipedia

So actually it was renewed in 1981, but that was 40 years ago. Where does it stand now?

Type of Work: Music
Registration Number / Date: RE0000094853 / 1981-06-23
  Renewal registration for: EU0000333602 / 1953-09-10
Title: Bernie’s tune. Music: Bernard Miller.
Copyright Claimant: Ruby Jewler (W) & Bernard Miller, Jr. (C)

Variant title: Bernie’s tune

I think "Ruby Jewler" is Lieber and Stoller-- two smart cookies one of whom is still around.  (IIRC Stoller who's married to Corky Hale.) I doubt that they would let it fall into the public domain and if it was renewed in 1981 it probably won't be pd for another 30 years. 

10 hours ago, bertrand said:

The (W) means wife/widow though. So they passed themselves off as the missus?

Corky Hale the harpist? Is she still around?

Asked on Facebook and I got this from August 1944:

(193) Bobby Socks - YouTube

And pianist with Lady Day.  Friends of mine wrote her biography called "Uncorked". Didn't know that about the "w", so maybe not them.  I used to always wonder when I saw it listed with their compositions and presumed that meant Stoller wrote it. 

Edited by medjuck