Weather Report - The Columbia Albums 1976-1982

mjzee

Release date February 26:

71fG40S2ZQL._SL1408_.jpg

711tVZ7qviL._SL1200_.jpg

The Columbia Albums 1976-1982 anthologizes the Jaco Pastorius era of Weather Report. Black Market (1976), Heavy Weather (1977), Mr. Gone (1978), 8:30 (1979), Night Passage (1980), and Weather Report (1982) are packaged in Clamshell Box with wallets. Each disc features reproduced front and back artwork. As detailed by liner notes author Richard Seidel, the box contains 12 bonus tracks, including all the cuts from the 2002 compilation Live and Unreleased that feature Pastorius, as well as material from the 1979 Havana Jam. The 20-page booklet also features full track-by-track credits and session data.

It's a really nicely done set (as are all of the ones in the Sony series), and they were dirt cheap when I bought them the first time around, $3-$4 per disc.  I bought a ton of them.  They always used the best available mastering BTW.

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

I find the small credits on the back interesting.  "Music On CD" has licensed this from Sony Music.  www.musiconcd.eu. I wonder who they are.

Given the declining sales for cds, maybe the major companies are beginning to license their product to others rather than producing them theirselves. 

...about preferring the "earlier titles"...not sure about that for me...Black Market is probably my favorite record of theirs's, Heavy Weather is pretty damn cohesive, like an Ellington record, really/sic. I can and do frequently pretend that Mr. Gone and 8:30 never happened, and then it's back to Night Passage & Weather Report (2), where shit just starts getting dark and quirky all over again, just in a new way.

Point is, I don't really have a "preference" with this band, it's a more or less continuous arc for me.

btw - "Madagascar" on Night Passage is as close to gonzo DizzyBird bebop as this type of music gets. Virtuosity and imagination at the fullest speed possible. No other band had that, not like this. And even this band didn't always have it like this.

Perhaps we could build some sort of elaborate and fabulous theory that a comprehensive Bill Barron box set is, in fact, coming soon from Mosaic!  Of course, it would all be based on "insider information" from a highly placed individual, who wishes to remain anonymous (naturally). For the sake of simplicity, let's just call this insider "Y."  With the right media contacts and internet presence, it's only a matter of time until a large percentage of the U.S. (and even worldwide!) population regards a Bill Barron box set as well nigh inevitable.  If enough people believe in it with all their heart, then we CANNOT be denied.  It will happen!!! 

Right?

:P

On 25.1.2021 at 5:56 PM, bertrand said:

The Forecast Tomorrow compilation included an unissued studio take of Directions. I wonder how much more studio material there is. I know Mysterious Traveler had a bonus cut on a Japanese release that I have never found.

I have this CD. The bonus track is called "Miroslav's Tune."

Jim is referencing Family Circus. Time for an intervention. Take two Aylers and call me in the morning.

1 hour ago, sambrasa said:

I have this CD. The bonus track is called "Miroslav's Tune."

Yes, that's it. Does Wayne play on it at all? How long is it? I assume I know the composer :)