Corbett v Dempsey new releases

cliffpeterson

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

How is that Van Dyke Parks 45? I'm almost afraid to ask...

I never could even get into the legendary 'Song Cycle' (tried a few times), and don't consider gems like "sunny down snuff I'm alright by the heroes and villains" to be transcendent lyrics, so I can't conceive...    Way too "clever" for his own good.

I like Song Cycle, it's Gonzo Amphetamine Pop in the extreme. I don't expect other people to, because...it's Gonzo Amphetamine Pop in the extreme.

Is it too clever, yes, of course it is. But could anybody else have done it? Not ever close. Not sure where clever crosses over into genuine eccentricity, but I think he might be on that other side. Sometimes, anyway.

Besides, he got Smile finished for real where Brian couldn't, and that in itself earns all forgiveness (or at least most forgiveness). Brian did/does not have the skill set to put that whole thing together like Van Dyke did. Nor does/did he need to. Just saying, though, no Van Dyke, no finished Smile. Just a lot of unshaped brilliance with a lot of shape but no form.

Tell you what - if you ever have the right moment, sit down with an age appropriate crowd and watch Follow That Bird, he wrote some gorgeous songs and score on that movie.

All that aside, if this isn't a hoot, what is?

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Great stuff. Two are 'must buy' for me.

The ICP releases particularly interesting.  Nice to see Vario get some exposure. I have the Bead on LP

would love to know the source material for the CVsD ICP reissues. I have bought a couple of them (Yi Yole & Groupcomposing). I also have the ICP box set they sound identical (including timings) to the equivalent ones from the big box. Are they using/leasing the ICP masters(?) that were used to create the box.

I actually sent John (Corbett) an email a couple of years back regarding this but got no response

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

The Sounds of Liberation with Khan Jamal, Byard Lancaster et al. got my attention. I've purchased several discs from C vs. D but somehow overlooked this.

Any good?

Love that one. Recently bought it on vinyl. They should use the original artwork which really is... a piece of art. They now show the back cover 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:00 PM, T.D. said:

Thanks. I missed out on the Porter release and don't have a turntable, so will consider the C & D.

Speaking of Porter, I e-mailed the label several times in late 2020 but got no response. I'm not sure they're still active.

They are still selling off stock, though.  You can get a big box of cds for $30 shipped, mine arrives this week.

35 minutes ago, SMB1968 said:

They are still selling off stock, though.  You can get a big box of cds for $30 shipped, mine arrives this week.

That's actually one of the reasons I tried to contact them [Porter Records] in late 2020. E-mailed twice to ask about that offer, twice more to ask whether their online shop was open (wanted to buy some specific items in the catalog).

Never got a response, gave up.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

That's actually one of the reasons I tried to contact them [Porter Records] in late 2020. E-mailed twice to ask about that offer, twice more to ask whether their online shop was open (wanted to buy some specific items in the catalog).

Never got a response, gave up.

Mine was actually waiting when I got home from work, so I can tell you that the are fulfilling these orders.

31 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Not sure what "mixed titles" means  - BUT 30 CDs for $40 seems like a really good deal.

As always YMMV, but my box had 5 Odean Pope titles.  I already had two of them, but the other three are disks I would have bought had I run across them -- that's my $30 right there.  If I dig any of the other 35 cds that's just gravy.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

When did you order? the offer is still there, but a bit hesitant to bite just yet. 

last week

My Porter box showed up today, six days after I placed the order.  No shipping notice from them, but   Very mixed bag, but overall I am quite happy at $40, and am glad to support their work.  My package had 32 CD's.  General breakdown is this:

Various non-jazz titles (of limited or no interest to me, I'll only even place maybe 2 in my CD player):  16 titles (including 3 duplicates).  Rap, rock, electronic, classicalish, you name it.

Obscurish 21st century jazz titles (will give them a listen, but not expecting much given my tastes):  2 titles

Obscurish jazz titles from the 70's (these are actually of great interest to me):  6 titles - loving "Thing" bu Arnold Cheatham right now.  That would be a $10 CD to me by itself, and I had never heard of it.

Jazz titles by guys I've heard of:  8 titles - 3 by Odean Pope, 1 each by Elliot Levin, Warren Smith, Nate Wooley, Ted Daniel, Dunmall/Grimes/Cyrille trio.  The Pope's, Smith, and Daniel are prime for me, though I already own the Daniel.

So 14 titles that are prime for me, 2 that are not, and 16 totally lost on me.  For $40, and to a good cause, works for me.

Wonder if we could set up a trading site for those of us who buy these?  Would also love to know how different each batch is, to know if it would make sense to get another one.

Edited by felser