Charles Lloyd new album Tone Poem (plays Ornette!)

Guy Berger

I'm a Charles Lloyd fan, but have been kind of hit and miss picking up his new albums.

This latest one has me pretty interested - he performs two Ornette Coleman tunes, "Ramblin" and "Peace".  "Ramblin" popped up on my spotify last night and it's really enjoyable... this kind of ragged avant-garde blues is Lloyd's natural element.

Apologies for linking to a press release but here's Blue Note's website

A Tone Poem from the Tone Poet - how poetic!

I like how they're saying that he "returned" to the label. He did, what - one record for them, and that was for the "new" Blue Note, right?

I like Lloyd a lot, but the presence of Frissell has steered me clear of being in any hurry to hear the BNs of his.

Vinyl price vs CD - definitely some market demand mark-up going on with these TPs (and all "audiophile" vinyl). But not having any industry insight myself, would it also be that the COGS on vinyl right now is higher than CD? If so, then I wonder if the margin on the CD price is actually higher than the vinyl even with the CD being a lower price...

Looks like they're also offering a signed LP option too. 

More an issue that CDs these days are so cheap, not necessarily that the Tone Poets are so expensive I think.

I remember Pathe Marconi Blue Notes being about £7-8 in the 1980s. Factor in inflation since then and the TPs are not that far out of line.

Edited by sidewinder

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

A Tone Poem from the Tone Poet - how poetic!

I like how they're saying that he "returned" to the label. He did, what - one record for them, and that was for the "new" Blue Note, right?

It was for the "new" BN and I don't think he's been away since as his subsequent releases have been on the label so not sure what the return is except a better way of saying "again"

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Looks very interesting!

CD is $14, vinyl is $50. More tracks on the vinyl? Doesn't look like it.

Do you all remember the good old 80s? When new vinyl was *cheaper* than CDs. And of course we all got the CDs because we wanted eternal, crystal clear sound... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I remember that a full price CD was 150 SEK in this country in 1989, which today would be 28 Euro. A new LP was about 90 SEK, today = 16,50 Euro. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Do you all remember the good old 80s? When new vinyl was *cheaper* than CDs. And of course we all got the CDs because we wanted eternal, crystal clear sound... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I remember that a full price CD was 150 SEK in this country in 1989, which today would be 28 Euro. A new LP was about 90 SEK, today = 16,50 Euro. 

I do. I didn't convert to CDs for a while because of their price

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

And I have it. But his return was with "Wild Man Dance " in 2015 since when we've had "8:Kindred Spirits Live" on BN

Right - he "returned" after making just one album, like, 30 years before "returning".

If he did another one for Atlantic (which he did do), it would be a true "return". to Blue Note, not really a "return, because he was never really there, except for that one-off of a one-off. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

But Frisell is only on The Marvels two albums not the other BNs

IMHO Wild Man Dance and Passin’ Thru, neither with Frisell, are great.  They stack up pretty well relative to the live ECM (Rabo de Nube).

I have heard the other recent Blue Notes, they’re fine, but streamed them each 1-2 times and haven’t been in a rush to pick them up.

• 1 year later...

I think I am a bit too young to have been too aware of Charles Lloyd. He was a big thing going from late 60´s into early 70´s and a certain kind of generation or social group adored him. 

When I dig get acquainted to jazz a bit later, a bit after the popular years of Charles Llyod I doubt his name was so much mentioned . 
My drummer was 4 years older than me (né 1955). Like me he loved Trane, Rollins, and all of them and once mentioned that he also likes Charles Lloyd and I didn´t know who is that. 

Others said better listen to Trane and so on if you want to hear "the original".....

I saw Lloyd only once with that Petrucciani , scandinavian bass player and young talented drummer, but let´s say I heard Jackie McLean on the same schedule and I remember everything about McLean but nothing special about Lloyd. I had that Electra Musician album, but there are other tenorists I like better. He seems to have a certain philosophy about all it that doesn´t reach me really. 

Well, I think some of the guys a bit older than me, who got a tenor sax sometimes called "Forest Flower" and I had to play it. So I had to play it quite a few times.....