Charles Lloyd new album Tone Poem (plays Ornette!)

Guy Berger

2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Looking forward to listening to the BN trio records although my favorite Lloyd albums are from his ECM catalog. 

Same here. I don't think any of Lloyd's BN releases have eclipsed any of the ECMs yet. I have enjoyed the BNs, although I thought 'Wild Man Dance' weak. 

Those trios are very enticing 

Edited by mjazzg

20 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Same here. I don't think any of Lloyd's BN releases have eclipsed any of the ECMs yet. I have enjoyed the BNs, although I thought 'Wild Man Dance' weak. 

Those trios are very enticing 

I think Wild Man Dance is great!  (Also, a really great concert at the Temple of Dendur in NYC back in 2014 or 2015 - I’ve found Lloyd to be hit or miss live but he was great at that concert.)

Passin’ Thru is really good too - imho it’s at the same level as Rabo de Nube on ECM.

That said I’ve given most of the BN work beyond those 2 a cursory listen and spend a lot more time with the ECMs.  I might pick up those trios or I might not.

Over time, the albums I listen to the most are the 5 w/Bobo Stenson (esp Canto and Notes from Big Sur), The Water Is Wide, and Lift Every Voice.