BFT 203 Available For Download

Ken Dryden

1 – Beyond the pale for me.  Definitely not a WWFL.

2 – Well played, but not my thing at all.

3 – Now this is more up my alley.  Not something I would buy, but enjoyable.  Clifford Jordan on tenor?

4 – Basie-like.  

5 – Pretty tune but gets to drag after a while.

6 – “Along Came Betty” from this   Different take on a good composition.

7 – Interesting mash up of “Jitterbug Waltz”, “I’ll Remember April”.

8 – Too laid back and tasteful for me.

9 – Technically formidable, but to what end?

10 – Lovely start to finish.  Superior ballad playing.

11 – "Song of Delilah” from this fascinating album.   Violinist sounds great on this, and is unmistakable.

12 – I do like this, whatever it is.  Especially the piano solo.

13 – Also like this.    Good tenor player.

14 – Good guitar playing on this bossa classic, of course.  But does not hold my attention well.

15 – Interesting piano duo, and doesn’t overstay it’s welcome.

16 – Nice solo piano “Yesterdays”.  Great technique.

17 – Excellent technique, but superior background music to me.

Edited by felser

Bill F:

Track 1 is not "Carolina Shout."

Felser:

Track 3 is not Clifford Jordan.

Track 6 is indeed "Along Came Betty" performed by the Uptown String Quartet.

Track 7 is "Jitterbug Waltz." 

Track 11 is Ahmed Abdul-Malik's take of "Song of Delilah," by Victor Young & Ray Evans.

Featuring: Ahmed Abdul-Malik: bass; Ray Nance: violin; Paul Neves: piano; Seldon Powell: flute; Walter Perkins: drums

Spellbound (Real Gone Music/Status)

Track 16 is "Yesterdays." 

Edited by Ken Dryden

11 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Track 1 is not "Carolina Shout."

The song in track 1 is obviously the one in side A from this Victor 78 rpm .

But track 1 is not the original Victor recording by the composer, neither any of the two Associated Transcriptions solos.

I will try to identify who's playing later.

Excellent starter! :) 

Edited by EKE BBB

1)  Stride piano.  I don’t know the tune, and to me it sounds like a modern player—not a key player from the old days. Marcus Roberts or someone like that.

2)  Oh man, I know this…it’s a bebop tune, isn’t it?  Certainly has strong elements of the Joe Pass solo style, thought I don’t think it’s Joe. Not bad, but I can only listen to about 3 straight solo tracks in this style. 

3)  You seem to be selecting players who draw strongly on a prime influence.  This reminds me of latter-day Sonny Rollins, though clearly not Sonny.  Nice bounce to  it, though I doubt the player could keep the ideas going for an extended solo.

4)  A pretty cool big band track.  Despite the Basie influence, it sounds quite modern.  I like that pulsing bass, and the soprano solo is fine. More traditional work on the trombone, but sounding good.  Is that Clark Terry going back and forth between open and muted? Actually, it sounds more like two separate musicians.

5)  Some moody solo piano. Then some very laid-back guitar added. The tune is a “standard.” 

6)  Identified.

7) This reminds me of some things Mingus did in the mid-50’s.  It’s got some West Coast and semi-classical elements.  There’s an alto solo by a Bird-inspired guy.  This track might even be Mingus; he was known to perform "Jitterbug Waltz."  It certainly has me intrigued.   

8) Nice mellow track with big band, spotlight on guitar.  Nothing really coming to me.  Guitarist reminds me a bit of Kenny Burrell, but I venture to say it’s not Kenny. Pretty rare to hear this much spotlight on guitar in a big band setting, unless it’s Gerald Wilson—and this is not Wilson. 

9.  "Tricotism" as solo bass feature. Maybe Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

17. "Snowfall" as a little solo guitar coda.  Nice, but I have no idea of the artist.

Edited by Milestones

When I access the BFT, the tracks are a bit out of order, so numbering according to actual listening order there (EDIT - just put them in their intended order)

1 - Stride style right? Fun little solo. Errol Garner?

2 - Lively guitar solo. Interesting tone, and a really good player. 

3 - Is this Sonny Rollins? Notice no piano but a guitar player, but it's not Jim Hall. Nice song. Maybe not Sonny but this is good playing. 

4 - Big band tune...Live setting...is this from the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band?

5 - Dramatic piano solo here. Notice some classical elements...oh - it's not a solo! Here comes a guitar. Well, tone sounds familiar but I can't place it....

6 - Multiple strings, ok. Nice ensemble playing. I've never heard this before, so no guesses. 

7 - Outside of my ballpark as well. Third stream maybe? Is this one of those Quincy Jones numbers from ABC?

8 - Sounds well recorded. Nice piano intro to the larger ensemble playing. Is this from CTI? Sounds like a Sebeski style arrangement. And the guitar in the mix too...One of the Benson records? 

9 - Is this a Haden solo? Nice playing. 

10 - Coleman Hawkins? Probably not...but great ballad style here. 

11 - Lovely track. Some nice violin and I usually don't like that instrument in jazz too much. Flute player is good too. Almost a flamenco or fado style on the guitar-like instrument. Love the groove overall. Herbie Mann recorded in various groups like this didn't he?

12 - Very  nice duet with trumpet & piano here. 

13 - Sounds like a 70s Hutcherson song - or maybe it's one of those Bags tunes from Pablo...hmmmm....leaning Milt on Pablo. 

14 - Sounds Towner-esque on the acoustic guitar. Is this one of his Oregon recordings? 

15 - Skilled pianist...well recorded. Nice melody lines. Tyner? 

16 - Very articulate player on this solo piano piece. No guesses just yet

17 - Short little guitar ditty here. Nice playing...no idea

Edited by Dub Modal

Just now, Dub Modal said:

When I access the BFT, the tracks are a bit out of order, so numbering according to actual listening order there:

Yeah, not sure where it happened, but the player is sorting by first digit only.

You can, if you like, play the intended sequence by clicking each track individually rather than letting the player move them along for you.

I submitted the tracks with 0 in front of the single digit tracks, did something change?

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

The song in track 1 is obviously the one in side A from this Victor 78 rpm .

But track 1 is not the original Victor recording by the composer, neither any of the two Associated Transcriptions solos.

I will try to identify who's playing later.

Excellent starter! :) 

Track 1 is not "Handful of Keys."

3 hours ago, Milestones said:

1)  Stride piano.  I don’t know the tune, and to me it sounds like a modern player—not a key player from the old days. Marcus Roberts or someone like that.

2)  Oh man, I know this…it’s a bebop tune, isn’t it?  Certainly has strong elements of the Joe Pass solo style, thought I don’t think it’s Joe. Not bad, but I can only listen to about 3 straight solo tracks in this style. 

3)  You seem to be selecting players who draw strongly on a prime influence.  This reminds me of latter-day Sonny Rollins, though clearly not Sonny.  Nice bounce to  it, though I doubt the player could keep the ideas going for an extended solo.

4)  A pretty cool big band track.  Despite the Basie influence, it sounds quite modern.  I like that pulsing bass, and the soprano solo is fine. More traditional work on the trombone, but sounding good.  Is that Clark Terry going back and forth between open and muted? Actually, it sounds more like two separate musicians.

5)  Some moody solo piano. Then some very laid-back guitar added. The tune is a “standard.” 

6)  Identified.

7) This reminds me of some things Mingus did in the mid-50’s.  It’s got some West Coast and semi-classical elements.  There’s an alto solo by a Bird-inspired guy.  This track might even be Mingus; he was known to perform "Jitterbug Waltz."  It certainly has me intrigued.   

8) Nice mellow track with big band, spotlight on guitar.  Nothing really coming to me.  Guitarist reminds me a bit of Kenny Burrell, but I venture to say it’s not Kenny. Pretty rare to hear this much spotlight on guitar in a big band setting, unless it’s Gerald Wilson—and this is not Wilson. 

9.  "Tricotism" as solo bass feature. Maybe Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

17. "Snowfall" as a little solo guitar coda.  Nice, but I have no idea of the artist.

Milestones:

That is Clark Terry alternating between trumpet and flugelhorn on track 4, good ears! He has such a personal sound on both horns.

Track 9 is "Tricotism, but it is not Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen.

Track 17 is "Snowfall."

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

When I access the BFT, the tracks are a bit out of order, so numbering according to actual listening order there (EDIT - just put them in their intended order)

1 - Stride style right? Fun little solo. Errol Garner?

2 - Lively guitar solo. Interesting tone, and a really good player. 

3 - Is this Sonny Rollins? Notice no piano but a guitar player, but it's not Jim Hall. Nice song. Maybe not Sonny but this is good playing. 

4 - Big band tune...Live setting...is this from the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band?

5 - Dramatic piano solo here. Notice some classical elements...oh - it's not a solo! Here comes a guitar. Well, tone sounds familiar but I can't place it....

6 - Multiple strings, ok. Nice ensemble playing. I've never heard this before, so no guesses. 

7 - Outside of my ballpark as well. Third stream maybe? Is this one of those Quincy Jones numbers from ABC?

8 - Sounds well recorded. Nice piano intro to the larger ensemble playing. Is this from CTI? Sounds like a Sebeski style arrangement. And the guitar in the mix too...One of the Benson records? 

9 - Is this a Haden solo? Nice playing. 

10 - Coleman Hawkins? Probably not...but great ballad style here. 

11 - Lovely track. Some nice violin and I usually don't like that instrument in jazz too much. Flute player is good too. Almost a flamenco or fado style on the guitar-like instrument. Love the groove overall. Herbie Mann recorded in various groups like this didn't he?

12 - Very  nice duet with trumpet & piano here. 

13 - Sounds like a 70s Hutcherson song - or maybe it's one of those Bags tunes from Pablo...hmmmm....leaning Milt on Pablo. 

14 - Sounds Towner-esque on the acoustic guitar. Is this one of his Oregon recordings? 

15 - Skilled pianist...well recorded. Nice melody lines. Tyner? 

16 - Very articulate player on this solo piano piece. No guesses just yet

17 - Short little guitar ditty here. Nice playing...no idea

Track 1 is not Erroll Garner.

Track 3 is not Sonny Rollins.

Track 4 is not the Jones/Lewis band.

Track 7 was not written or arranged by Quincy Jones, nor did he have anything to do with this recording.

Track 8 is not a CTI record, it doesn't involve Don Sebesky, nor is George Benson present.

Track 9 is not Charlie Haden.

Track 10 is not by Coleman Hawkins.

Track 11 doesn't include Herbie Mann, Felser already identified it.

Track 13 is a Bobby Hutcherson song, but Milt Jackson isn't on vibes.

Track 14 does not feature Ralph Towner or Oregon.

Track 15 is not McCoy Tyner.

Edited by Ken Dryden

28 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Track 1 is not Erroll Garner.

Track 3 is not Sonny Rollins.

Track 4 is not the Jones/Lewis band.

Track 7 was not written or arranged by Quincy Jones, nor did he have anything to do with this recording.

Track 8 is not a CTI record, it doesn't involve Don Sebesky, nor is George Benson present.

Track 9 is not Charlie Haden.

Track 10 is not by Coleman Hawkins.

Track 11 doesn't include Herbie Mann, Felser already identified it.

Track 13 is a Bobby Hutcherson song, but Milt Jackson isn't on vibes.

Track 14 does not feature Ralph Towner or Oregon.

Track 15 is not McCoy Tyner.

:lol: well, I was consistent at least

I think that is part of the fun, being able to figure out the song or the artist, yet having to wrack your brain to figure out the remaining information.

I compare it to recognizing every song on a live set, except the one piece that the artist never introduces by its title. I know that I know it, but it drives me crazy trying to recall the song title

1 hour ago, felser said:

LOL!  And we've all been there on these BFT's (especially me).

48 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Ken is used to being paid by the word. So he couldn't just leave it at "none of your guesses are correct".

:g

Feels a bit like I just appeared on SNL's version of the McLaughlin Group 

Edited by Dub Modal

Ok, dinner's on. let's roll.

TRACK ONE: "Handful Of Keys"? Dick Hyman? I like it well enough, always like some stride, but it feels just a little rushed, internally. Not a deal-breaker, though.

TRACK TWO - "Moose The Mooche", solo guitar? Lenny Breau? I hope not...this is jagged to my ears, jagged and a bit rushed.

TRACK THREE -  Nice tune, Don't like that type of tenor playing, though. Head had a strong Dexter vibe to it, but the solo was all Brecker-y and shit. Speak with one voice, please, don't be Rich Little about it!

TRACK FOUR - Please note - "Tee", not Cee". Makes a difference. Love Clark, but this band...it's not his, I hope? Like Buddy Rich without Buddy Rich. WAAAAAY on top of the beat, everybody, except CT and again note - CT, not CP). Maybe you had to be there?

TRACK FIVE -  Very interesting ideas in left hand, almost pedestrian ideas in the right..."Yesterdays, all that Bartok seemed so far away...seriosly, this sounds like a player who maybe just needed more season to get both hands on the same page, in terms of ideas.Oh, there's guitar....shades of (or in the shade of) Tristano/Bauer

TRACK SIX - Oh yeah, Uptown String Quartet, great band, and nice to hear them with out Max. Love that, but string quartet is one of my favorite instrumentations, so much opportunity there...now, whose wedding to I have to go to to hear THIS band during dinner? Betty's? She done come along darn it.

TRACK SEVEN - Say what you will about Herbie Mann, he sounded the same then as he would decades later. Other than that, I've never really liked the arrangements on this record. Too foo-foo. The soloists, otoh, hey, there they are! I love me this era of Phil woods as much as the later stuff makes me cringe (usally). Motherfucker came to play, and DID! Same thing for Bill Evans. But that chart....not for me, I'm afraid. Waltz those vibes outta there, please!

TRACK EIGHT - Spring is here...no, will be here...eventually...hopefully? Wow, Pat Williams-esque writing...but get that guitar out of there, please! Oh, it's probably their date, right? Ok, save the chart forsomebody else, like art Farmer (oh wait, can't do that...) This would have been better (in almost every way) if it had been done in the 70s. Nice writing, though, very nice writing.

TRACK NINE - "Tricotism", LOVE that tune! I'm not a stickler for intonation, but this player is maybe just a leeeeeetle bit, shall we say, "cavalier"...So, either Ron Cater or Rufus Reid, among "name" players. Can't dfault the ideas, though, excellent ideas! And excellent chops as well.

TRACK TEN - Getz? Nah, a little too square-on to be Getz, or any of those guys. Not what's new, but well played, and sincere. No idea who it is. Doesn't need to be new when that is there, what?

TRACK ELEVEN - "Delilah", FLOORSHOW! I think this record was on a BFT within the last few months? No worries, it's a GREAT record. thnks for including it here!

TRACK TWELVE - Oh my...is that a Mingus tune, yes? So it should swing, yes? So why doesn't it? Sorry peoples, right notes are jsut the beginning of the battle. It don't. etc...otoh, this is not one that everybody plays, so kudos for picking ti for the program, whoever you trumpetpianoduet is..

TRACK THIRTEEN - That's Bobby & Harold, timeless All-Stars, right? Billy on drums? Not sure if I have this record or not. of I don't I should probably look for it. Later Harold Land (I mean later-70s and beyond) turns me on, actually. This is a fine cut for my money (Even if it's free!).

TRACK FOURTEEN - I would be in no hurry to come home to this. Stay home once there maybe, but yo gotta get me there with more than this, ok? Nice, MOR music, expertly played, and as the old saying says, I'd not kick it out of bed for eating crackers. But it would have to be in the bed before I could kick it out...may be you had to have already been there? Put this out in the late 60s, drench it in reverb, hey, it would stay blogged forever. But they didn't, so...

TRACK FIFTEEN - That intro disturbed me, but it got better. A little off-kilter, and not in a bad way. Roger Kellaway? Or are there two pianists here? Jacki Byard? Did I ever think i would put those two names together? I did NOT!!!!

TRACK SIXTEEN - Ok, that's Tatum ground, tread carefully...Almost sounds like the Piano starts Here version, but not quite...cleaned up sonically and just a little heavier-handed in the execution? I will say this, no matter what - regardless of one's gut reaction about Taum, on anything, it's most likely wrong, there's always more to it than you think, no matter how much you like it or don't. Always more, ALWAYS more. That's been my experience anyway. Ok, I had to a/B and I don't think this is the OPiano Starts here version, the applause at the end is different. So I don't know what this is. if it's a different Tatum performance or a clever imitation. Those are not the same thing,s obviously, os I sincerely hope that it's not an imitation.

TRACK SEVENTEEN - Happy trails on the snowfallen lanes, and thank you so much (whoever you are) by not ruining this lovely take by improvising on it. More is every bit the enemy of perfections, as is less. A difficult balance, to be sure. But this is it!

Quite a listen, Ken, thanks for sharing!

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, dinner's on. let's roll.

TRACK ONE: "Handful Of Keys"? Dick Hyman? I like it well enough, always like some stride, but it feels just a little rushed, internally. Not a deal-breaker, though.

TRACK TWO - "Moose The Mooche", solo guitar? Lenny Breau? I hope not...this is jagged to my ears, jagged and a bit rushed.

TRACK THREE -  Nice tune, Don't like that type of tenor playing, though. Head had a strong Dexter vibe to it, but the solo was all Brecker-y and shit. Speak with one voice, please, don't be Rich Little about it!

TRACK FOUR - Please note - "Tee", not Cee". Makes a difference. Love Clark, but this band...it's not his, I hope? Like Buddy Rich without Buddy Rich. WAAAAAY on top of the beat, everybody, except CT and again note - CT, not CP). Maybe you had to be there?

TRACK FIVE -  Very interesting ideas in left hand, almost pedestrian ideas in the right..."Yesterdays, all that Bartok seemed so far away...seriosly, this sounds like a player who maybe just needed more season to get both hands on the same page, in terms of ideas.Oh, there's guitar....shades of (or in the shade of) Tristano/Bauer

TRACK SIX - Oh yeah, Uptown String Quartet, great band, and nice to hear them with out Max. Love that, but string quartet is one of my favorite instrumentations, so much opportunity there...now, whose wedding to I have to go to to hear THIS band during dinner? Betty's? She done come along darn it.

TRACK SEVEN - Say what you will about Herbie Mann, he sounded the same then as he would decades later. Other than that, I've never really liked the arrangements on this record. Too foo-foo. The soloists, otoh, hey, there they are! I love me this era of Phil woods as much as the later stuff makes me cringe (usally). Motherfucker came to play, and DID! Same thing for Bill Evans. But that chart....not for me, I'm afraid. Waltz those vibes outta there, please!

TRACK EIGHT - Spring is here...no, will be here...eventually...hopefully? Wow, Pat Williams-esque writing...but get that guitar out of there, please! Oh, it's probably their date, right? Ok, save the chart forsomebody else, like art Farmer (oh wait, can't do that...) This would have been better (in almost every way) if it had been done in the 70s. Nice writing, though, very nice writing.

TRACK NINE - "Tricotism", LOVE that tune! I'm not a stickler for intonation, but this player is maybe just a leeeeeetle bit, shall we say, "cavalier"...So, either Ron Cater or Rufus Reid, among "name" players. Can't dfault the ideas, though, excellent ideas! And excellent chops as well.

TRACK TEN - Getz? Nah, a little too square-on to be Getz, or any of those guys. Not what's new, but well played, and sincere. No idea who it is. Doesn't need to be new when that is there, what?

TRACK ELEVEN - "Delilah", FLOORSHOW! I think this record was on a BFT within the last few months? No worries, it's a GREAT record. thnks for including it here!

TRACK TWELVE - Oh my...is that a Mingus tune, yes? So it should swing, yes? So why doesn't it? Sorry peoples, right notes are jsut the beginning of the battle. It don't. etc...otoh, this is not one that everybody plays, so kudos for picking ti for the program, whoever you trumpetpianoduet is..

TRACK THIRTEEN - That's Bobby & Harold, timeless All-Stars, right? Billy on drums? Not sure if I have this record or not. of I don't I should probably look for it. Later Harold Land (I mean later-70s and beyond) turns me on, actually. This is a fine cut for my money (Even if it's free!).

TRACK FOURTEEN - I would be in no hurry to come home to this. Stay home once there maybe, but yo gotta get me there with more than this, ok? Nice, MOR music, expertly played, and as the old saying says, I'd not kick it out of bed for eating crackers. But it would have to be in the bed before I could kick it out...may be you had to have already been there? Put this out in the late 60s, drench it in reverb, hey, it would stay blogged forever. But they didn't, so...

TRACK FIFTEEN - That intro disturbed me, but it got better. A little off-kilter, and not in a bad way. Roger Kellaway? Or are there two pianists here? Jacki Byard? Did I ever think i would put those two names together? I did NOT!!!!

TRACK SIXTEEN - Ok, that's Tatum ground, tread carefully...Almost sounds like the Piano starts Here version, but not quite...cleaned up sonically and just a little heavier-handed in the execution? I will say this, no matter what - regardless of one's gut reaction about Taum, on anything, it's most likely wrong, there's always more to it than you think, no matter how much you like it or don't. Always more, ALWAYS more. That's been my experience anyway. Ok, I had to a/B and I don't think this is the OPiano Starts here version, the applause at the end is different. So I don't know what this is. if it's a different Tatum performance or a clever imitation. Those are not the same thing,s obviously, os I sincerely hope that it's not an imitation.

TRACK SEVENTEEN - Happy trails on the snowfallen lanes, and thank you so much (whoever you are) by not ruining this lovely take by improvising on it. More is every bit the enemy of perfections, as is less. A difficult balance, to be sure. But this is it!

Quite a listen, Ken, thanks for sharing!

Funny, as Dex crossed my mind for 3 too; as did Getz for 10 - but there were some notes I just didn't think they'd play and then the style difference became apparent. 

I like my statements to speak in the same voice as the solos. I mean, yeah, it it comes on you to go left, by all means, go left. But,,,it bugs me when a player seems to be making an effort to reference one player on the head, and then the solo comes and like, where did THAT go? Not a reflection on skills, obviously but it is a personal esthetic preference. Personal, mind you.

Reading the responses now, I see who it was on #10, and that makes sense to me, a lot of influences, but ultimately one voice, maybe not particularly "original" or "distinct", but still, solid all the way through.