Who is playing with Jimmy Crawford?

Hardbopjazz

Your photo comes from a recording session led by singer Frankie Lane in NYC sometime between 1946 & 1948. Unfortunately, I could not find information about the identities of the other musicians. I think Mitch Miller was the producer of that date, as he is seen in some of the pictures. Here's another Gottlieb photo from that session:

default.jpg

It probably was a session for Mercury.  Mitch Miller was a producer at Mercury during that time, and Laine was recording for the label.  Laine later followed Miller to Columbia.

Does anyone have the first Frankie Laine Bear Family box?  It covers this period and might shed some light on who the others might be.  

None of the sessions listed in Lord has Jimmy Crawford in the personnel, and always has trumpets and other horns, Mannie Klein or Carl Fischer leading the band. Could that be Mundell Lowe on guitar?

None of clarinetists listed matches the one in the picture.

Why not contact Bear Family by e-maIL? info@bear-family.de

Edited by mikeweil

45 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Could that be Mundell Lowe on guitar?

I think the OP was correct. It's Tony Mottola. 

make-mine-music-tony-mottola.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The bassist's hairdo and shirt looks almost like something from the 2000s. Ahead of his time? 🙂

Plaid flannel shirts make you think of the 2000s? Grunge aside, Pendleton Mills introduced wool plaid shirts for men in 1924.