Bud Powell cd

envision

12 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I think the contents can also be found on the five individual CDs Live at the Golden Circle, which I believe are still in print.

To clarify, "Budism" was three cds of different recordings from the Golden Circle, not previously released. Never heard of "Budism Plus"

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Years ago I bought about all stuff of Bud Powell but I must admit, that I have not listened to it for quite a long time. From the later period of Bud I prefer encounters with other US musicians (like "Hawk in Germany" from Essen with Hawkins, Oscar Pettiford and Kenny Clark) or "Blakey in Paris" with the exceptionell solos of Bud on two of his compositions (Bouncing, and Infidels). 

And from the 1962 scandinavian tour I prefer the studio album with Nils Henning. 

From the 3 CD set "Budism" I think the best stuff is on CD 3 which is from a second tour to Scandinavia in September 1962. 

The whole stuff on "Budism" is very very uneven. There are some great moments like two really fast versions of "The Best Thing for you is me" , but there are also some very weak pieces. There is a really rambling version of "Confirmation". 

As I said before, as I get older I prefer to listen to his records with fellow musicians from USA, or of course with great European musicians like Pierre Michelot or Nils Henning.....

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

same as the ESP Disk release (LP & CD) - the 2014 ESP CD has three extra quartet tracks with Zoot Sims

Yes , I also had first the LP with the trio tracks and later got the CD with the Zoot Sims stuff. As I already said, I love most of all those occasions, where Bud could play with another horn player, like here Zoot Sims, like Dexter on "Our Man in Paris", like Hawkins on "Essen Festival", Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter on "Blakey in Paris", Dizzy on "with the Double Six of Paris", Don Byas and Indrees Suliman on "Americans in Paris", same on "Tribute to Cannonball"...... I think Bud got very very inspired if he met some horn players, Also with Curtis Fuller on "Bud!"......

• 2 weeks later...