Booker Ervin

BlueSpirits

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Probably my favorite booker records (as leader) are The In-Between and what has been come to be known as Tex-Book Tenor. Both on Blue Note.

But to trifectaulate the pairing, add in Horace Parlan's Happy State Of Mind.

3 drank 4 while 2 wasn't looking and added this 1:

47 minutes ago, BlueSpirits said:

I do have a question! How do you guys not get overwhelmed by the amount of music there is to check out?

In terms of expense, I have friends who treat me well, and I try to do the same for them. And never forget - no matter how many friends you have it's nothing but good karma to buy real product from real product creators and sellers at fair market value, cheapest is not always best, dig? Karma's a bitch, keep that in mind. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered, , if not in this life, in the next or parallel or wherever it may be. Just don't be the guy with an unbalanced ledger, ok?

Time-wise? Hey, fuck it. I hope I live long enough to hear it all (including stuff on my shelves. Longevity trumps OCD if you mange it right. Or so I hope...

None of the American records really get to this side of Booker, not like this.

Take away "songs", take away the rhythmic symmetries imposed by most pianists to one degree or another, and boom, there it is - Booker Ervin, free blues Black Music tenor player, unambiguously there, in that place..

I always loved Booker Ervin, always. but it was not until hearing this record that I fully understood him. Playing "songs", he sounds like a really powerful eccentric jazz voice. Here, he sounds totally organic, not just a "jazz player", but so much more than just that. That's a freaking SOUL!!!!!!

The American records never get all of that, not like this one does.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Take away "songs", take away the rhythmic symmetries imposed by most pianists to one degree or another, and boom, there it is - Booker Ervin, free blues Black Music tenor player, unambiguously there, in that place..

That's a good one, and a nice description. Helluva record. Cutting out the piano seems to set Booker free.

Ted Curson is another, connected, player who also never gets his due amount of love. I always need to be reminded to listen to him.

Anyway, time for some Mingus At Antibes...

22 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's a good one, and a nice description. Helluva record. Cutting out the piano seems to set Booker free.

Ted Curson is another, connected, player who also never gets his due amount of love. I always need to be reminded to listen to him.

Anyway, time for some Mingus At Antibes...

And Jimmy Woode is a true force here ....

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow, this is gold. Gonna have to track this one down. Check out that SOUL!   The whole band is really on point , too. Thanks for posting this!

Spinning this one right now- Really love it

Also, JSngry , thanks for telling me to check out Billy Harper. I've spent the last 2 days just going through everything I can find on Youtube. This music is astonishingly good. I can see the connection to Booker, for sure. I've listened to Capra Black, Black Saint, Jon & Billy and The Awakening so far. All of them blew me away. Will now have to go broke tracking down all his LPs:g              

14 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Urge is one of my favorites too. I think I have pretty much everything except for Booker & Brass, which I could never fully appreciate though I should try again...

and welcome to the board, BlueSpirits. 

I’m such a fan of ‘Booker and Brass’ that last time I was in NYC I sought out Webster Hall, peered through the window and thought of that album. :crazy:

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2021 at 11:01 PM, JSngry said:

Not sure how I got to 59 years old without ever hearing this record, but here we are. Fantastic -- some of the best Curson I know, with the chops up enough to get his interesting ideas out with clarity. And everything Jim says about Booker here is right on. Great blindfold test record. I'd get Booker with his first few notes and Curson by process of elimination; but I'd never guess Woode (who sounds tremendous) or Bateman. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

On 2/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, JSngry said:

Billy will keep you busy for a while! :)

As long as you're tracking, track down Hot Line, a Bill Barron album on Savoy where he shares the front line with Booker. Excellent stuff.

Jim - I may have posted this already, but I once told Bill Barron how good he was on that recording, especially against a powerhouse like Ervin. Bill was a very modest guy, and I think he was embarrassed but very flattered.

I posted this in January: 

If you can find a copy, grab Barron's 1962 album "The Hot Line" (Savoy -- probably the last of his Savoy dates; I have it on a mono LP), which pairs him with Booker Ervin, backed by brother Kenny, Larry Ridley, and Andrew Cyrille. As might be expected, Barron and Ervin make for good company, with the former perhaps stimulated by Ervin to play in a more in agitated "blowing" manner than usual. In any case, agitated Barron is great to hear.