Your Favorite Jazz Records of the 1980s?

HutchFan

On 07/03/2021 at 4:23 PM, David Ayers said:

George Russell had a bit of a resurgence in the 80s. Do people remember The African Game and So What, both on Blue Note? He toured the UK on the back of that. I saw him in Glasgow with an orchestra featuring Andy Shepherd. 

Didn’t catch that one but I did see the ‘80th Birthday Performance’ In London (QEH I think). Shepherd was also in the band for that one. Memorable evening !

If I remember rightly they played ‘The African Game’ in the 2nd set and finished on ‘So What’, to standing ovation and with Russell beaming from ear to ear. Such things are unforgettable.

The other highlight was ‘Listen to the Silence’ featuring Palle Mikkelborg.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What about Riffs by Jimmy Lyons? 

F4157B4C-0899-45D7-9D7A-B556C8812AF8.jpeg

From September 1980.

I'm not familiar with that one. ... Just looked it up on discogs.  Features some unusual instrumentation: alto sax, bass, drums -- and bassoon.

Hmm.  Don't think I've heard a bassoon in a jazz context before. 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'm not familiar with that one. ... Just looked it up on discogs.  Features some unusual instrumentation: alto sax, bass, drums -- and bassoon.

Karen Borca plays bassoon on at least 5 other Jimmy Lyons dates and Joseph Jarman plays it on Lester Bowie's "Numbers 1 & 2". More to follow.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

There’s a contrabassoon muddling along on some of those Coltrane Village Vanguard tracks. Braxton occasionally features a bassoon. Oh and I found this link: https://bassoonbrothers.com/inside-oondom/jazz-bassoonists/