Your Favorite Jazz Records of the 1980s?

HutchFan

55 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Haven't started it yet.  Still digging around, listening, doing "research."  I hope to begin at the start of 2022. 

On this blog, I'll be collaborating with a friend.  So there will be two perspectives this time, not just mine.

Good news indeed ....

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Haven't started it yet.  Still digging around, listening, doing "research."  I hope to begin at the start of 2022. 

On this blog, I'll be collaborating with a friend.  So there will be two perspectives this time, not just mine.

Looking forward to it!  I could definitely use some inspiration for the ‘80’s :)

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

By the way, who was Senator Jesse Helms? Looking at his choices for best jazz albums of the 1980s, I assume he was a satirical bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms

Jesse Helms was a pig, unless you want to be a pluralist about it, in which case, hey, he was entitled to his opinions the same as everybody else, and it's all good.

But he was a pig.

2 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Do you reckon those were really his choices? Or was the Village Vanguard taking the piss?

Yeah, that's why I asked earlier. Helms was an ultra conservative fire brand from NC whose legacy is fully entrenched with the current senate minority. There's no way he had any insight into 80s jazz. He was too busy whistling Dixie 

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Helms

Jesse Helms was a pig, unless you want to be a pluralist about it, in which case, hey, he was entitled to his opinions the same as everybody else, and it's all good.

But he was a pig.

Yeah, ok, I can be a pluralist here - Jesse Helms was entitled to his opinions the same as everybody else.

Still, he was a pig.

But not a GOOD pig, the kind you can eat or turn into a sitcom star. THAT would have been cool. But Jesse Helms was not that kind of pig.

Sorry to be a monistatist about it, but unless you're on the side of the pigs....well hell, even if you were/are, you can claim him as one of your own.

So yeah, Jesse Helms was a pig.

On 9.5.2021 at 4:25 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I don't think I have a single jazz record from the 1980s, but certainly have flipped past hundreds of them in the dollar bins.  

That decade's cover art was simply hideous, and not the kind of design that would entice me to want to hear the music inside.

Case in point:

R-3506842-1446120779-6380.jpeg.jpg

I love "Digitally Processed" in the upper right corner.  "This original analog recording has been electronically rechanneled to simulate digital." :)

Well I dont read it that way from the backside. "digitally remixed" is that rechanneled mono indeed  like many of Kentons Creative World series? I doubt it. Thre is no Info in the liner notes that the original was mono. Correct is that it  is an analogue master from 1984

Please explain.

Thanks

Addendum: Have 583 Items between 1980 and 1990. I think the 1950s & 1960s were the best years for jazz.

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

5 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I dont read it that way from the backside. "digitally remixed" is that rechanneled mono indeed  like many of Kentons Creative World series? I doubt it. Thre is no Info in the liner notes that the original was mono. Correct is that it  is an analogue master from 1984

Please explain.

Thanks

I didn't say anything about mono.  I was discussing the ambiguity of the phrase "digitally processed."

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, ok, I can be a pluralist here - Jesse Helms was entitled to his opinions the same as everybody else.

Still, he was a pig.

But not a GOOD pig, the kind you can eat or turn into a sitcom star. THAT would have been cool. But Jesse Helms was not that kind of pig.

Sorry to be a monistatist about it, but unless you're on the side of the pigs....well hell, even if you were/are, you can claim him as one of your own.

So yeah, Jesse Helms was a pig.

What you're saying here, Jim, is insulting and hurtful.  You act as if I've advocated some sort of total and absolute moral relativism. 

Questions of morality and politics are NOT what we were talking about.  I said I enjoy Latin jazzer A and Euro jazzer B, along with American (both African-American and otherwise) jazzer C -- and there's nothing wrong with that. That's it.

But you've now twisted what I said into something bankrupt and horrible.  I do realize that -- on some level -- you're just joking. 

But you're also being an asshole.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Good news indeed ....

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Looking forward to it!  I could definitely use some inspiration for the ‘80’s :)

2 hours ago, Niko said:

in for the journey

Thanks gents.  I really appreciate the encouragement.

Edited by HutchFan

Clifford,

Jim was baiting me. It's not like anyone needs to dig deep for "hidden" implications.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

That's pretty clear to me.

I stand by what I've said.

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Larry -- Why weren't YOU represented on the list?  Did you get an invitation to contribute?

Well, I think they did leave stuff out -- things that you probably "don't share tastes with."

Why not ask one or two aficionados of Latin Jazz to contribute?  Why not ask some critics/authors based in other countries to contribute?  What's the harm in that?

I'm NOT saying that there's something "wrong" with these lists.  I'm just saying that more perspectives would have made for a more well-rounded -- and, ultimately -- more interesting picture.

What list? This is the first I've heard of it.

In any case, for me compiling such a list would be a pain in the butt. I'd have to look through hundreds, maybe thousands, of CDs to see which ones came from the '80s.

7 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

What list? This is the first I've heard of it.

I was referring to the Village Voice Best Jazz of the 1980s Poll that happened back in 1990.

I only ask because it would have been interesting to see your ten contributions. Plus you could have provided a "view from Chicago" perspective.

25 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Clifford,

Jim was baiting me. It's not like anyone needs to dig deep for "hidden" implications.

That's pretty clear to me.

I stand by what I've said.

Baiting you?

Oh my...

33 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Unless your name is Senator Jesse Helms, I don't think the "you" was directed at you, HutchFan.

Thank you for getting that...wish I could have made that more obvious, but...how?

51 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I was referring to the Village Voice Best Jazz of the 1980s Poll that happened back in 1990.

I only ask because it would have been interesting to see your ten contributions. Plus you could have provided a "view from Chicago" perspective.

Again, I never heard of it until now. Used to vote in the Voice's regular jazz poll, but stopped when I felt I hadn't been keeping up enough with new stuff to be a reliable judge. 

When I stopped working at the Tribune, free CDs seldom came my way, and while I still bought a good deal of stuff, I only bought things I thought I was going to like. If that's how you roll, you can miss out on a lot. IIRC the last free CD that made a big impact on me was the first and only one to date by Anita Brown's Jazz Orchestra "27 East" (Lasheda). She's Ted Brown daughter, and a brilliant composer IMO. Compared to her, Maria Schneider is chopped liver.

36 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Again, I never heard of it until now. Used to vote in the Voice's regular jazz poll, but stopped when I felt I hadn't been keeping up enough with new stuff to be a reliable judge. 

When I stopped working at the Tribune, free CDs seldom came my way, and while I still bought a good deal of stuff, I only bought things I thought I was going to like. If that's how you roll, you can miss out on a lot. IIRC the last free CD that made a big impact on me was the first and only one to date by Anita Brown's Jazz Orchestra "27 East" (Lasheda). She's Ted Brown daughter, and a brilliant composer IMO. Compared to her, Maria Schneider is chopped liver.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.  

Will keep an eye out for that Anita Brown Jazz Orchestra CD.  :tup 

38 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Ah yes, I know of her through Ted but haven't heard that CD. Will seek it out.

Good stuff recorded in 1983:

• The Jazztet – Moment to Moment (Soul Note)
  • Derek Bailey / John Zorn / George Lewis – Yankees (Celluloid / Charly)
  • Stan Getz / Albert Dailey – Poetry (Elektra / Blue Note)
  • Terje Rypdal / David Darling – Eos (ECM)
  • Paul Bley / George Cross McDonald – Sonor (Soul Note)
  • George Russell & the Living Time Orchestra - The African Game (Blue Note)
  • Kenny Clarke / Andrew Cyrille / Milford Graves / Don Moye - Pieces of Time (Soul Note)
  • Chet Baker with Åke Johansson Trio - Live In Sweden (Dragon)
  • AMM - Generative Themes (Matchless Recordings) – recorded in 1982-83
  • Iskra 1903 (Paul Rutherford / Barry Guy / Philipp Wachsmann) - Chapter Two: 1981-83 (EMANEM)
  • Henry Threadgill Sextett - Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket (About Time) 
  • Jimmy Lyons Quintet – Wee Sneezawee (Black Saint)
  • Joëlle Léandre ‎– Les Douze Sons (nato)

Edited by Д.Д.

18 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Good stuff recorded in 1983:

•    The Jazztet – Moment to Moment (Soul Note)
•    Derek Bailey / John Zorn / George Lewis – Yankees (Celluloid / Charly)
•    Stan Getz / Albert Dailey – Poetry (Elektra / Blue Note)
•    Terje Rypdal / David Darling – Eos (ECM)
•    Paul Bley / George Cross McDonald – Sonor (Soul Note)
•    George Russell & the Living Time Orchestra - The African Game (Blue Note)
•    Kenny Clarke / Andrew Cyrille / Milford Graves / Don Moye - Pieces of Time (Soul Note)
•    Chet Baker with Åke Johansson Trio - Live In Sweden (Dragon)
•    AMM - Generative Themes (Matchless Recordings) – recorded in 1982-83
•    Iskra 1903 (Paul Rutherford / Barry Guy / Philipp Wachsmann) - Chapter Two: 1981-83 (EMANEM)
•    Henry Threadgill Sextett - Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket (About Time) 
•    Jimmy Lyons Quintet – Wee Sneezawee (Black Saint)

Great! I was wondering when 1983 was coming.