RIP Chick Corea

ghost of miles

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, colinmce said:

RIP. For my money, Tones For Jones Bones & Now He Sings, Now He Sobs are two of the absolute best jazz records ever made, and just the tip of the iceberg in terms of his accomplishments. 

+1.  And "Crystal Silence" and "Light as a Feather" each broke incredible ground, and are also classics.  And he did dozens of worthwhile to excellent albums in the decades since.  Incredible musician, and probably taken for granted way too much.  RIP.  Ouch.

Long ago when I was visiting New York City for a few days, I went to the Village Vanguard on a Monday night to see the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. There a sub playing the Piano with the band that night and I did not know who this young guy was, but he sounded terrific. I asked someone who was playing piano. the answer was Chick Corea!

Funny how some things stay in your memory so many decades later.

I revisited the two Piano Improvisations ECM records a few months ago and...still fresh, often startling. Fully focused, open on all sides. Not very many people get there.

No matter what came after (and so many...different things did...) I doubt that he ever went anywhere not knowing that he still had that in his pocket any time he wanted it.

That's the hope, not just for him but for everybody who makes decisions.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

This one hurts for me, one of my heroes. Confirmed on his wesite as well. 

https://chickcorea.com/

I had the honor of playing four-handed piano with him on stage when he did a solo concert in Sweden in 2018. Will cherish that memory forever.

Did an interview with him for Down Beat in 1969-70 when he was with Miles at the Plugged Nickel on electric piano. Couldn't have been nicer. Somewhat disconcertingly, he kind of came on  to my wife who was along for the ride, kept telling her she was "an old soul." I got the feeling that this was a line that had worked for him before. We laughed it off.

I saw him for the first time in April 2012.  He appeared by himself.  I thought I was watching and listening to the Victor Borge of Jazz.  This reviewer agreed with my assessment:

https://www.nippertown.com/2012/04/17/live-chick-corea-the-college-of-st-rose-massry-center-4412/

As the reviewer describes,  after intermission Corea returned to the bench and then jumped up to play at the mike a John Coltrane tune he had on his smart phone (the reviewer claims it was an iPod).  The best part was that Corea was beside himself with glee at sharing that with the audience. 

Caught him later in a trio at Tanglewood.  

Both concerts were marvelous.