RIP Chick Corea

ghost of miles

I just heard about this. What a loss!

From Miles to Return to Forever to myriad other bands (Circle, Origin, etc.), he always created great music! He was/is one of the greats.

Ironically, I just received in this morning's mail the new Tone Poet lp release of his first album, Now He Sings, Now He Sobs, which I had ordered from Amazon 4 or 5 days ago.

I will be playing a lot of his music this weekend.

RIP

Edited by pglbook

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely devastating.  Chick's music has been a part of my life since I was 7 years old, though I didn't dive hardcore into things till college.  Several years ago, Chick's manager Dan Muse (who replaced Bill Rooney)  reached out to me to write for Chick's blog... I didn't make the cut but what an honor.  I know some folk around here weren't fond of the Elektric Band, but actually I dug it... that was the first exposure to Chick I had, if you get past the synths, the datedness of them... good music there

2 hours ago, sonnymax said:

Rest in peace, Armando from Chelsea, MA.

91176444_10157527268803924_3922047547819

He looks like a Latino there, but he was of Southern Italian background. I remember I used to play in a big band in NY where it was said that Chick played the piano chair (probably for five seconds). I was a kid back then, so I thought, "I'm playing the same charts Chick played" (they stopped using piano by then, and I'd play the piano book).I used to tell all the new players in the band, "Yeah man, Chick used to play in this band".

One of my best friends became a Scientologist, and made a videotape of him and Chick playing a four-hand piano duet that they played at his funeral service/wake. He died when he was 35. I worked in a band with another Scientologist piano player who worshiped Chick. I met him a few days after L. Ron Hubbard died. When I asked him about it, he said Hubbard didn't die; he was just away on research.

R(esearch) in Peace, Chick...

R.I.P., Chick.  You will be deeply missed.

Great, great musician and one of the most electric players and composers on Earth.  He could do anything at a high level.

I only got to see him once...with the Corea-McBride-Blade trio.  Fabulous show.

Edited by Milestones

RIP, Chick

I first saw him in 74 at the Troubador in LA with the first electric RTF (Bill Connors). Then 3 or 4 more times in the 70s. Didn't see him again until 2015 at SFJAZZ with Christian McBride and Brian Blade. Nice trio!

Does anyone know if the original RTF (Flora, Airto, Clarke and Joe Farrell) ever performed live or toured? I've never seen a video or heard any live recordings. I would have loved to see that lineup. The ECM album is probably my favorite of all of his albums.

8 hours ago, trane123 said:

This does hit hard.  My first initiation into jazz was Return To Forever (with Dimeola/White/Clarke) when I was in high school.  Over the years I've listened to (and mostly loved) all of his other stuff.  I got to see him play live many times.  RIP indeed...

Many of my generation started the same way. This was in the 70´s, maybe mid 70´s and many of my high school colleges were very much into RTF. "Romantic Warrior" was one of the favourite records. 

Too bad I missed a Chick Corea concert somewhere in the late 70´s maybe 77 or 78 in Vienna with a group featuring Dave Liebman. This must have been shortly after RTF. Too bad there is no records of that formation with Liebman....

5 hours ago, BFrank said:

RIP, Chick

I first saw him in 74 at the Troubador in LA with the first electric RTF (Bill Connors). Then 3 or 4 more times in the 70s. Didn't see him again until 2015 at SFJAZZ with Christian McBride and Brian Blade. Nice trio!

Does anyone know if the original RTF (Flora, Airto, Clarke and Joe Farrell) ever performed live or toured? I've never seen a video or heard any live recordings. I would have loved to see that lineup. 

I have a live 1972 audio recording from Stockholm (though without Flora). 

16 hours ago, BFrank said:

RIP, Chick

Does anyone know if the original RTF (Flora, Airto, Clarke and Joe Farrell) ever performed live or toured? I've never seen a video or heard any live recordings. I would have loved to see that lineup. The ECM album is probably my favorite of all of his albums.

16 hours ago, BFrank said:

RIP, Chick

That original band definitely toured starting in late 1972. It played Baker's Keyboard Lounge in August 1972. The previous October in fall 1971, Chick appeared in Detroit at the Strata Concert Gallery for three nights with Stanley Clarke and Horacee Arnold. I dug up a flier for that gig in an archive while doing research on Strata for my book. I showed it to Chick and flipped out. He said that gig and that trio was essentially ground zero for what became Return to Forever. The revamped line-up with Clarke, Airto etc. played at LIvingston College in New Brunswick NJ in December, according to a newpaper clip I found. The band debuted at the Village Vanguard around the same time because in the Feb. 3 issue of Downbeat there's a review Here it is. (Note that accompanying review shows that Cecil Taylor just played in Detroit -- sorry I wasn't there, even if I would have been just 9 years old.) 

chick 72 small.jpg

Edited by Mark Stryker

Yes, pretty sure I recall that Caught In The Act review (and totally sure that the issue is in my closet, somewhere...who was on the cover?)...remind me again, was the OG RTF band before or after the Getz Captain Marvel band (with Tony on drums)? After, right? The Getz band was the first fruit from the seeds of those tunes, right? This one?

20200716_194741_1024x1024@2x.jpg?

Captain Marvel is one damn good record...

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yes, pretty sure I recall that Caught In The Act review (and totally sure that the issue is in my closet, somewhere...who was on the cover?)...remind me again, was the OG RTF band before or after the Getz Captain Marvel band (with Tony on drums)? After, right? The Getz band was the first fruit from the seeds of those tunes, right? This one?

20200716_194741_1024x1024@2x.jpg?

Captain Marvel is one damn good record...

That's it!

Look at everybody mentioned on that cover, and marvel at how all that music was alive and happening at the same time.

And now, don't be surprised that they're all dead now, just marvel at how they were all playing at the same time, none of them the same, none of them re-creative, all of them viable, and all of them being covered in the same magazine.

People wonder why I got so little tolerance for so much of this bullshit happening today, consider THAT coming in your mailbox every two weeks and just lapping it up thinking it was always going to be like that.., hey.

32 minutes ago, bresna said:

You're such a dickhead.

Well, yes, of course.

But quite apart from that, the reason this thread spent time in Miscellaneous Music was, I think, entirely my fault. GOM's OG thread started here, in Artists, and then at some point a few hours in pglbook started a new RIP thread in Miscellaneous Music. So when I tried to merge his post into this one, the OG thread, to eliminate a duplication of threading, I think I bimboppled it and did it the wrong way, merged the OG thread into his. When you merge threads, chronology of posts stays the same, so I saw his at the (then) end of the thread and assumed, quite erroneously, that I had done it right.

Obviously I had not.

It was not until the AM, when I looked at the Artists thread here for more Corea Convo taht I saw that the thread wasn't where it was supposed to be and said oh shit, did I fuck this up, i think i did. So I fixed what I have to assume was my own error.Moving a thread is easy, merging one, not so much, at least not for me, the logic is counterintuitive for me for some reason.

Anyway, the thread is back where it started, and definitely where it belongs. Apologies to the OP and the artistic community at large for the quite unintentional - and definitely unfortunate - slight.