RIP Chick Corea

ghost of miles

Since Scientology affected who he payed with that had to eventually affect how he playing too.  As did all that 'communicating' rubbish.  Big fan of the early sideman and leader dates up to about '72 - Blue Michell, Getz, Joe Farrell era RTF, trios, etc.  Very hit and miss for me after that... but that's hardly a unique pattern, there are lots of artists who are really on for a few years and then hit and miss after that, he did more good to great stuff than most and had his own voice.  And yes Scientology is a cult and the're all evil.  My taste in fusin' generally is mostly the earlier stuff and selective even there, much bigger fan of other subgenres - soul jazz, hard bop, early Stax, Chicago Blues, Honky Tonk, Western Swing, etc.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Interesting discussion on DiMeola and post 1972 fusion.  I’m able to enjoy DiMeola’s music (at least the Elegant Gypsy stuff) on its own terms, as entertaining fluff.  But it’s annoying when incorporated into Corea’s music where I have higher expectations.

I take the same view. It's pretty shredding and fun. I'm not sure I'd take the platinum option dining experience at $9,500 though.

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Just a note on this. The vocalist here, Bill Tragesser, was subbing for Flora Purim, who had either just had a baby or was about to.

Interesting.... had no idea...

Mark, I read your piece on Chick and enjoyed it but how can you not include this?

It is one of my favorites if not my favorite....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygoa3jjnS2s

Edited by david weiss

4 hours ago, david weiss said:

Interesting.... had no idea...

Mark, I read your piece on Chick and enjoyed it but how can you not include this?

It is one of my favorites if not my favorite....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygoa3jjnS2s

Simple oversight. There's so many different bands to remember. Adding a quick nod ...

Thanks

Updated: "Now throw in the sublime early ‘70s solo piano records on ECM; the go-for-broke duets with Herbie Hancock; the potent but short-lived quartet with Joe Henderson, Gary Peacock, and Haynes; the underrated Origin sextet with Steve Wilson, Bob Sheppard, Steve Davis, Avishai Cohen, and Jeff Ballard; and the New Trio with Cohen and Ballard."

Edited by Mark Stryker

35 minutes ago, sambrasa said:

Another very interesting video here. Miles' Lost Quintet but Chick and Jack have switched drums and piano seats.

Here's another clip of Chick playing drums, this time in a straight-ahead vein with Michael Brecker in 1981: "Confirmation." (Audio only)

Edited by Mark Stryker