Milford Graves RIP

ep1str0phy

Hello, all-

Breaking a moment of silence as I have received numerous notices that the great Milford Graves has passed away. He and I were friends. Part of my intention in beginning this thread is to see if other intimates may have some knowledge to impart that I do not - but from what I can gather in my state, we have confirmation. (The most "official" source, since it's NPR sanctioned: https://twitter.com/totalvibration/status/1360365557778960384)

There's a lot to unpack here, but let me just say that the music world is tremendously fortunate to have had Professor Graves doing what he did - for so long - and so well. I consider myself spectacularly fortunate to have known his company for the past couple of years. 

Not to get too maudlin, but I had just sent him a belated holiday card. As in it was in the mail this morning. As Milford once said to me, "Spend time with people."

Love to all folk, musical and otherwise,

K

Ugh

so glad to see him years ago with William Parker & Peter Brotzmann - maybe 1999 or 2000. They were blazing. Milford was roaring doing what he did with his homemade wondrous drum set. Somewhere down town NY - maybe CBGB’s basement?!?!

Even more grateful to see him on June 12, 2019 @ Vision Fest when he willed himself to get there - and then to get on stage and play what must have been his last concert - a duo with Andrew Cyrille. I made it a point to say hello and thank him for being him. 

RIP, sir

and now thinking of Uli:)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Damn, didn't want to start the day with this news. Unlike others never saw him live, not sure if he ever played over here, but his recordings made a very big impact. Also loved the recent film.

I'm separated from my collection but would definitely be playing the NYAQ box set today. Will have to see what Spotify has to offer instead.

RIP

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

One of the more fully realized lives we'll be blessed to have witnessed and shared.

RIP, and let THAT be a lesson to us all.

Yeah - all of it

The emotion he had when he finally was able to get behind the drum set to play with Andrew. He would not be denied and he said no matter what he was going to do it for Andrew on Mr. Cyrille’s special night. He was glowing when I said hello to him like he was truly blessed to have a few of us appreciate him. 

and the film, wow stuff

no paradigm for Milford Graves 

Full Mantis is on Amazon Prime.

Just watch it, never mind what you think it's going to be about, just watch it.

My wife, who does not at all like anything resembling "energy music" or "free jazz" was hooked about 10-15 minutes into it. She got deep into it.

It's that kind of a thing.