Unissued Music You Would Like To See Released

Ken Dryden

Over the course of one or more interviews with Denny Zeiltin, I learned of some unissued music.

He said there was another CD of unissued tracks from the Live at the Trident sessions.

Also, I sent him a dub of an audience recording of a duo concert with David Grisman from Arcata, CA on 11-27-2001.

After he received it, he said that Grisman had the concert recorded, but he is not interested in releasing it, though Denny would love to see it available.

Set I

Brazilian Street Dance
Dawg Funk
On the March
unknown title
unknown title
Nuages
Fanny Hill

Set II

New River
Blue Midnite
unknown Bill Monroe composition
Waltz For Gigi
Anouman
Greensleeves
Fourteen Miles to Barstow
Limehouse Blues

The set list is what I have been able to identify.

How do you actually lose potential income?

otoh, you can leverage just a dime or two to make income and then keep making income off of money you don't really have until you actually do have some money, so I guess anything's possible, as long as the bill never really comes due, in which case, you might well be fucked.

6 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Loss of potential income is called opportunity cost.

Can you write that off? As either a cost or a loss?

I remember during the last last recession, I was expressing sorrow about stock decline-loss to an investing friend of mine and they told me not to worry, they wouldn't have actually lost money until they sold their stock at a lower price than they bought it, and with what they had, they weren't going to sell it any time soon, it was going to be back up, eventually. and it was!

I dont think this kind of opp cost can be written off. They have an asset, but are choosing to let it depreciate without capitalizing on current value. It's just sitting there, and Medjuck is most likely correct in that at least as far as physical media goes, theyre losing any potential income that they could have by licensing it. The market for physical media aint growing. Who knows what the future holds really, but there most likely wont be money for them in streaming. It would seem that if they didnt want to make money on it that they would at least donate them or make it publically available in some way. Everybody loses in this case, so at least thats equitable. 

Well, on 2nd thought, that depreciation may work in their favor on the balance sheet. As well, if they end up selling at a loss, that does cover some potential tax issues. No idea how cynical these folks may be, but if that's the game they're playing then rapacious would be on the mark. 

Mosaic Select was focused on 3 CD sets, period. I guess that the series was abandoned after licensing became either too difficult or too expensive, or the sales didn't reach the volume that the label hoped.

One thing that I did get ahold of was some unissued material that never saw the light of day from Jaki Byard's gig at Lennie's On The Turnpike. When I was working on the liner notes and ran into a problem (tryiing to figure out the meaniing behind the title "St. Mark's Place Among The Sewers"), i contacted the CD producer. He told me that Byard's spoken intro to the song, omitted from the CD advance and subsequent CD, explained it. He then sent me reference copies of all remaining unissued material from the date. I guess that I ought to back it up and send a copy to his daughter Diane, who may not have it.

I remember that  both the Paul Desmond and Erroll Garner estates blocked the release of unissued material. After the crap that Columbia pulled by issuing material by Garner without his approval, one can understand his estate's protectiveness, but the Desmond estate attorney blocked the Toronto tapes for decades, without good reason.

The longer these estates wait, the less value this music may have in potential physical sales, while the source materials are always in danger of deterioration or loss from fire, flooding or other disasters.

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

The Savory Collection material with Charlie Christian and Prez (not together) as well as their Ellington holdings.  They're being held up by the rapaciousness  of the Benny Goodman and Ellington estates.  (Both of whom will lose potential income  as a result.) 

This is my greatest wish at the moment. I spent one afternoon listening to Duke, Django, Goodman (mostley sextet) and Goodman with Roy Eldridge and Lester Young iirc). There are more than 1.100 tracks to listen to. It is not all jazz there were also fireside chats by president Roosevelt. My listening was cut short when someone came to test Illinois Jacquet's sax. That sound was so loud it drowned out everything else. 

Looking for release of Transition LP TRLP-18 Jay Migliori "Jazz Down Beat". Definitely existed at one time. Complete listing is in Lord discography. One song "Something's Gotta Give" was released in the Transition Sampler LP TRLP-30. The booklet for TRLP-30 also has a description of the Migliori session.

3 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

Looking for release of Transition LP TRLP-18 Jay Migliori "Jazz Down Beat". Definitely existed at one time. Complete listing is in Lord discography. One song "Something's Gotta Give" was released in the Transition Sampler LP TRLP-30. The booklet for TRLP-30 also has a description of the Migliori session.

Looks like an extremely rare Item

On 2/15/2021 at 11:19 AM, Stonewall15 said:

Last I heard, Jay had the masters.

• 2 weeks later...