Honi Gordon

ListeningToPrestige

Does anyone know anything about this singer? She worked with Mingus and Marylou Williams, she made the one album for Prestige, She worked later with both Mingus and Williams. But nothing anywhere on the internet about her career after the early 60s. Neither Wiki nor AllMusic have dates for her, so it's impossible to even tell if she's still alive. She appeared at a tribute to Marylou Williams in 2007, at Fordham, which might be a clue that she was New York based.

Didn´t she appear at Mingus and Friends 1972 ? This would have been after the early 60´s . Actually I don´t now other recordings of her than those two with Mingus on "Stollin´". In the liner notes of "Mingus and Friends" it´s stated that she must have been a baby when she recorded it with Mingus in 1959 since she was still a young woman in 1972. That´s all I know.

On 2021/2/14 at 1:29 AM, mikeweil said:

There is a complete discography here: https://jazzdiscography.com/Artists/GordonH/index.php

Honi Gordon also sang 2 tunes ("Eclipse" and "Strollin'") with Charles Mingus Orchestra at the Village Vanguard in Apr. 17, 1972, right after "And Friends In Concert" at Lincoln Center.  The existence of private tape has been known and circulated for ages, and recently a bootleg CD emerged in Japan.

Edited by mhatta

11 hours ago, mhatta said:

Honi Gordon also sang 2 tunes ("Eclipse" and "Strollin'") with Charles Mingus Orchestra at the Village Vanguard in Apr. 17, 1972, right after "And Friends In Concert" at Lincoln Center.  The existence of private tape has been known and circulated for ages, and recently a bootleg CD emerged in Japan.

Send the info to Michael Fitzgerald and he will add it to the discography. Thee Charles Mingus Debut box set is missing, too.

Edited by mikeweil

8 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Was that the double-bill with Ornette doing Skies of America?  If so, I was there too.

No, just a long Mingus concert with Bill Cosby as MC. Gene Ammons, Bobby Jones and James Moody in a tenor battle.Teo Macero was conducting.

I didn't know that Eddie Bert and Eddie Preston were on that band. I played with them about 20 years later.

• 1 month later...

Her lp on Prestige is outstanding. All top notch performances, but her version of  Why Try To Change Me Now is the best rendition I've ever heard. Nice to see the discography (above), but I wish she would have recorded a few more lps for Prestige.