Pay A Celebrity To Say Something To You!!!

JSngry

6 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Kenny G for $295. Um...what?

Makes Tia Carrere downright cheap. In a good way. You know my closest friend has had a crush on her forever and a birthday April 6.

Or how about a personalized "no soup for you" from the Soup Nazi? Only $80.

5 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Makes Tia Carrere downright cheap. In a good way. You know my closest friend has had a crush on her forever and a birthday April 6.

Or how about a personalized "no soup for you" from the Soup Nazi? Only $80.

Ha, I see Jon Lovitz is on there, Jack! That would probably be fun.

I immediately thought of a friend currently on chemo who's had to move to a new fast-tracked drug b/c the other wouldn't take. Outside of the box stuff like this could help cheer them up if the timing's right. For the expensive ones friends could go in on it. 

I'd ask Colin Mochrie for five improvised "here now the news" intros a la "Whose Line ..."

And, frankly, I am already thinking about a custom script for Tia Carrere to deliver for my buddy, especially since, for four years before the pandemic, we had a monthly dinner. Hard to believe its a year since we've seen each other. Since the odds don't look good for either of us, let alone both, to be innoculated by April 6, I think a personalized birthday wish from his young-adult crush, Ms. Carrere would be just the ticket.  And just about the same as I would have spent on a birthday dinner. (We had the perfect system, BTW, for our monthly get-togethers. We'd alternate checks all thru the year, and with his birthday in April and mine in September, we set it up so that the birthday boy got a regularly scheduled free meal for his birthday month anyway.)

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

I'd ask Colin Mochrie for five improvised "here now the news" intros a la "Whose Line ..."

And, frankly, I am already thinking about a custom script for Tia Carrere to deliver for my buddy, especially since, for four years before the pandemic, we had a monthly dinner. Hard to believe its a year since we've seen each other. Since the odds don't look good for either of us, let alone both, to be innoculated by April 6, I think a personalized birthday wish from his young-adult crush, Ms. Carrere would be just the ticket.  And just about the same as I would have spent on a birthday dinner. (We had the perfect system, BTW, for our monthly get-togethers. We'd alternate checks all thru the year, and with his birthday in April and mine in September, we set it up so that the birthday boy got a regularly scheduled free meal for his birthday month anyway.)

Yeah, $60 is a good gift amount. 

Speaking of Carrere, my GF got mistaken for her in a SC liquor store last year by the clerk. He ended up not charging her for one of the bottles. We couldn't figure out if it was just a mistake or a fanboy move, but much appreciated regardless.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is like liner notes for friendship! :g

Here's another way: When we were both short of cash for Christmas, we'd verify that both had $20 in our respective pockets, exchange the money, and say Merry Christmas, no muss, no fuss, nothing out of pocket. 

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, fun birthday gift (or a really cringe-y corporate event, though cringe is "on brand" in that area).  And I certainly don't begrudge artist/celeb eagerness to rake in more $$$.

To some extent this is a mass commercialization of a hobby that really rich people already engage in anyway which I also think is good.  (Pop star X playing at billionaire Y's party.)

On the other hand, the faux-friendship framing is a little creepy

Too bad Leonard Feather's not around for this! Or Stanley Crouch!

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Speaking of Carrere, my GF got mistaken for her in a SC liquor store last year by the clerk. He ended up not charging her for one of the bottles.

I gotta ask - of what kind/brand of spirits did the clerk possibly think that "Tia Carrere" would deserve or otherwise appreciate receiving at no charge?

Something I don't understand from the website. (This is purely academic, of course.) So, let's say you pay for Gilbert Gottfried to say something to somebody. (This is purely academic, of course.) Does he call and leave a voicemail if the person is not home? Does the money guarantee he will actually speak to the person, not into their voicemail? Is it just him talking, or is there a conversation?

On 2/26/2021 at 11:20 AM, riddlemay said:

Something I don't understand from the website. (This is purely academic, of course.) So, let's say you pay for Gilbert Gottfried to say something to somebody. (This is purely academic, of course.) Does he call and leave a voicemail if the person is not home? Does the money guarantee he will actually speak to the person, not into their voicemail? Is it just him talking, or is there a conversation?

The “celebrity” records a video and sends it. 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, JSngry said:

I thought that at first, but there seems to be a "chat" option for $2.95...I didn't want to know....

Chat is texting and the celebrity is not required to respond. 

a radio show I listen to have discussed this app so I’m familiar with how it works. Also...

hahaha

Edited by jcam_44