National anthem at the CPAC convention

Larry Kart

Just to be clear, this is a real a cappella performance that Orlando native Sailor Sabol gave at the CPAC convention. Larry Goldings' added "accompaniment" is his comically mock-desparate attempt to stay in the key or keys she is in. Ms. Sabol has a YouTube channel if you care to investigate.

4 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Just to be clear, this is a real a cappella performance that Orlando native Sailor Sabol gave at the CPAC convention. Larry Goldings' added "accompaniment" is his comically mock-desparate attempt to stay in the key or keys she is in. Ms. Sabol has a YouTube channel if you care to investigate.

All hell broke loose on "The Rockets red glare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

"We'll get you paid in about six weeks..."

Are you SURE this is comedy?

Yes I'm sure. Apparently Goldings is known for doing the sort of thing he does here. Ms. Sabol's performance  at CPAC was a cappella, Goldings' "accompaniment" was his after-the-fact addition -- again, something he does to amuse himself and others. There's another NYC-area jazz pianist, last name Heck IIRC, who does something somewhat similar; he takes political speeches and the like given by people he wants to make fun of, and he sets them to music of his own invention that closely mirrors the rhythms and the pitches of the speaker.The results are of necessity often fairly complex, a la Conlon Nancarrow, and also fairly funny.

A la the National Anthem thing, and Goldings’ part in it, does anyone recall the name of the jazz pianist, a NYC-area guy I believe, who took political speeches from people he wanted to make fun of and crafted music that closely mirrored the rhythms and pitches of the speakers and then combined what he had done with the original speeches. The resulting music was of necessity fairly complex, a la Conlon Nancarrow, and the music-speech combos were amusing. Don’t recall the guy’s name right now. I have or used to have a record on which he’s a sideman. A good player. First name Henry perhaps. If I could think of his name, I could post some his stuff. It was on You Tube.

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Yes I'm sure. Apparently Goldings is known for doing the sort of thing he does here. Ms. Sabol's performance  at CPAC was a cappella, Goldings' "accompaniment" was his after-the-fact addition -- again, something he does to amuse himself and others. There's another NYC-area jazz pianist, last name Heck IIRC, who does something somewhat similar; he takes political speeches and the like given by people he wants to make fun of, and he sets them to music of his own invention that closely mirrors the rhythms and the pitches of the speaker.The results are of necessity often fairly complex, a la Conlon Nancarrow, and also fairly funny.

I don't know man, that thing about getting paid in about 6 weeks, that sounds pretty real-life to me. Are you SURE this isn't real?

Go to Ms. Sabol's You Tube site and you'll see that she's quite real. And can't you see that Goldings is mugging, comically responding to the supposed difficulties of trying to keep up with her a-musical waywardness?

BTW, the other guy I mentioned  above is Henry Hey. I'll try to post some of his stuff.

Hey on Palin and Bush:

Go to Ms. Sabol's You Tube site and you'll see that she's quite real. And can't you see that Goldings is mugging, comically responding to the supposed difficulties of trying to keep up with her a-musical waywardness?

There is nothing in any of that that I have not seen or heard in real life, especially the part about getting paid in about six weeks.

21 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Larry Goldings as Hans Groiner reshapes the music of Thelonious Monk:

:lol: This is the Larry Goldings from Trio Saudades right? What a character...

BTW, the other guy I mentioned  above is Henry Hey. I'll try to post some of his stuff.

Hey on Palin and Bush:

I'm cringing so hard through these. Embarrassing on several levels, but the piano is so on point.  

• 3 weeks later...

This may genuinely (seriously) be the most brilliant thing I’ve heard in over a year...

Somehow, with this new stunning choral arrangement (below) backing the original un-retouched soloist — this choral quartet has actually “fixed” the entire performance, into something gobsmackingly beautiful — and no longer any sort of sonic clusterfuck at all.

Still weird, yes, but it now sounds bloody intentional, filled with bold shifts in tonality — but ones that now sound WAY “more natural” — if (still) not quite “normal”.

I can’t technically explain the finer points of voice leading, or modulation — but these guys clearly know their shit, and have turned a sow’s ear into one of the finest silk purses ever.

But don’t just take my word for it, hear for yourself. This is the total opposite of a “train wreck” — and might be better described as an “anti-trainwreck”.

Edited by Rooster_Ties