Ralph Peterson Jr. RIP

Mark Stryker

Will add RIP when formally confirmed, but sure sorry to hear this...He was one of the young players of his time who seemed hellbent on having a band, and a good band, AND one that was not retro. Reach sometimes exceeded grasp, but I was always wanting to here where he was going next. Then, I guess, "personal problems"...but then a comeback. Strong, assertive player every step of the way, god bless him and his spirit.

Best records of the 80s gotta have this one:

R-2681940-1298299140.jpeg.jpg

From Ralph's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ralph.j.peterson
Ralph Peterson Jr. - May 20, 1962 - March 1, 2021

Good Morning Family and Friends,
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that our beloved Ralph joined the ancestors earlier this morning. He was a fighter till the end and was surrounded by his family and your love.
Ralph really appreciated all of your love, supportive messages, thoughts, and prayers. Any and all messages sent through e-mail, text, or phone were read to him.
Funeral arrangements are being planned and will be announced shortly. At this time we ask that you please give the family some privacy and any pertinent questions can be directed to his manager Laura Martinez, laura@worldfusionevents.com

We thank you for being with us during this difficult time.

Laura Martinez on behalf of the Peterson Family

Ralph has been battling cancer for several years, undergoing at least one major surgical procedure a few years back. I saw him play at Scullers a little over a year ago and he was still playing like a mofo. Cancer sucks.

40 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Will add RIP when formally confirmed, but sure sorry to hear this...He was one of the young players of his time who seemed hellbent on having a band, and a good band, AND one that was not retro. Reach sometimes exceeded grasp, but I was always wanting to here where he was going next. Then, I guess, "personal problems"...but then a comeback. Strong, assertive player every step of the way, god bless him and his spirit.

Best records of the 80s gotta have this one:

R-2681940-1298299140.jpeg.jpg

This email just came from Lydia Liebman Promotions, Lydia was Ralph's publicist. :

--

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Ralph Peterson Jr. passed away this morning at 1:45 AM in North Dartmouth, MA due to complications from cancer. He was surrounded by the love of his family and friends. Ralph appreciated all of the love, supportive messages, thoughts and prayers that came his way throughout his six year cancer battle. He is survived by his wife, Linea, daughter Sonora Slocum, stepdaughters Saydee and Haylee McQuay, and his spiritual daughter Jazz Robertson. 

Funeral arrangements are being planned and will be announced shortly.  The family asks for privacy during this time. Pertinent questions can be directed to me, or his manager Laura Martinez, laura@worldfusionevents.com.

I cannot express how saddened I am to lose Ralph. He was a true fighter and an inspiration to me, and many others. Working with him was an immense privilege and the world is a dimmer place without him in it. 

Lydia 

Edited by Mark Stryker

This one hit me more than most. Probably because he was someone I got to know a little bit. I was involved with presenting him in concert a couple of times and we were members of the same fraternity. I have also been a fan of his music since his Fo'tet recordings, Out of the Blue and his time with David Murray. Whenever I caught him in concert he always greeting me enthusiastically and I never felt like it was only because he wanted another gig. I think that is just how he was about everything he did. He will be missed.

Edited by relyles

5 minutes ago, relyles said:

This one hit me more than most. Probably because he was someone I got to know a little bit. I was involved with presenting him in concert a couple of times and we were members of the same fraternity. I have also been a fan of his music since his Fo'tet recordings, Out of the Blue and his time with David Murray. Whenever I caught him in concert he always greeting me enthusiastically and I never felt like it was only because he wanted another gig. I think that is just how he was about everything he did. He will be missed.

So sorry to hear that this loss has a personal aspect to it for you, relyles.  Evidently that's the case for Nate Chinen, too, who has yet to weigh in at length, but who cited Peterson on Twitter today as his mentor when Chinen was in his early 20s.  

I have appreciated Ralph Peterson's work since first reviewing one of his early Blue Note Fo'tet CDs. He was a terrific drummer and bandleader and his music had many facets.

I enjoyed his live webcast from The Side Door in the past few months. It may have been one of his last performances.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, Mark Stryker said:
On 3/1/2021 at 11:37 AM, Mark Stryker said:

This email just came from Lydia Liebman Promotions, Lydia was Ralph's publicist. :

--

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Ralph Peterson Jr. passed away this morning at 1:45 AM in North Dartmouth, MA due to complications from cancer. He was surrounded by the love of his family and friends. Ralph appreciated all of the love, supportive messages, thoughts and prayers that came his way throughout his six year cancer battle. He is survived by his wife, Linea, daughter Sonora Slocum, stepdaughters Saydee and Haylee McQuay, and his spiritual daughter Jazz Robertson. 

Funeral arrangements are being planned and will be announced shortly.  The family asks for privacy during this time. Pertinent questions can be directed to me, or his manager Laura Martinez, laura@worldfusionevents.com.

I cannot express how saddened I am to lose Ralph. He was a true fighter and an inspiration to me, and many others. Working with him was an immense privilege and the world is a dimmer place without him in it. 

Lydia 

RIP, sir

I loved those quartet dates with David Murray - and the Fo’Tet records