Blue Note Groove Things, imaginary box set

As I think I've mentioned here before, one of the things I do to use up excess time and stay out of trouble is write things for my own amusement and one thing I've been working on is compiling an imaginary box set of BNGTs (see title(.  It started out as just figuring out just how many son of Sidewinder tracks did they record at BN, and then expanded to include the third cousins, twice removed (anything with a vamp kept through the solos, no walking bass, no shuffles).  Well now I've gotten to the revival of the label from the '80s til now and I can't think of much since I don't know this period as well as the vintage stuff.  I own some and have a few titles in mind, but any listening suggestions would be most welcome.  Thanks and take care.

• 2 months later...

Did you include ‘Gichi,’ the opening cut on Booker Ervin’s “Tex Book Tenor” (one of those Blue Note sessions that wasn”t released at the time of the recording)? And, in that vein, Jackie McLean, ‘The Bull Frog’ (also not released at the time)?

Edited by DMP
Bad memory

5 hours ago, DMP said:

Did you include ‘Gichi,’ the opening cut on Booker Ervin’s “Tex Book Tenor” (one of those Blue Note sessions that wasn”t released at the time of the recording)? And, in that vein, Jackie McLean, ‘The Bull Frog’ (also not released at the time)?

Yes to both of these.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yes, that totally works.

2 hours ago, felser said:

"OTB" by Out Of The Blue. That was my answering machine background for a while in the late 80's.

Nice track, kind of borderline for this concept but I'd like to have some some Kenny Garrett if at all possible...

Hey, that whole Turrnentine album is an overlooked gem. Anybody who says they don't like, ask them why, and then get the Rorschach out...same thing for somebody who does. But it's nothing but Turrnentine doing what Turrnentine do, and having a blast doing it.

I think something like this can be said as a borderline effort, a wild collision between the Sidewinders and free jazz aesthetics.  There is also a terrific Archie Shepp rendition of this tune.

Edited by mhatta

• 1 month later...

It seems you have your list under control!  Hope you’ll share it someday.  (It might be interesting to come up with a list of “Sidewinder” clones on OTHER  labels - things like “Greasy Kid’s Stuff,” “Mean Greens,” “Money in the Pocket”...). 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, DMP said:

It seems you have your list under control!  Hope you’ll share it someday.  (It might be interesting to come up with a list of “Sidewinder” clones on OTHER  labels - things like “Greasy Kid’s Stuff,” “Mean Greens,” “Money in the Pocket”...). 

That's a surprisingly short list, if you define 'this thing' at all narrowly it's very much a BN thing.  Thought about including Greasy Kid Stuff, a couple more on Prestige, maybe one or two on Atlantic.  The next thing, Alligator Boogaloo-like phase is as much a Prestige thing as BN.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:58 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

As I think I've mentioned here before, one of the things I do to use up excess time and stay out of trouble is write things for my own amusement and one thing I've been working on is compiling an imaginary box set of BNGTs (see title(.  It started out as just figuring out just how many son of Sidewinder tracks did they record at BN, and then expanded to include the third cousins, twice removed (anything with a vamp kept through the solos, no walking bass, no shuffles).  Well now I've gotten to the revival of the label from the '80s til now and I can't think of much since I don't know this period as well as the vintage stuff.  I own some and have a few titles in mind, but any listening suggestions would be most welcome.  Thanks and take care.

Can't believe I didn't look at this thread until now... I've long toyed with doing a Night Lights show called "Son Of Sidewinder," albeit probably as a truncated funder program.  

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Can't believe I didn't look at this thread until now... I've long toyed with doing a Night Lights show called "Son Of Sidewinder," albeit probably as a truncated funder program.  

I'm well over a 100 tracks on this, but it's not just 'son of' - more like son, grandson, dad, uncle, cousin.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

If you limit it to BlueNote, that's one thing.

Add in Prestige, that's another.

But add in jazzrecordmusic of all over the place (including Pacific Jazz of the time!) and oh my, there you go. Like Chickenman, IT'S EVERYWHERE, IT'S EVERYWHERE.

If you include Idris M's work for Prestige, kinda yes.  If you make even a little more strictly Son of SW, then to a surprising extent no.  At least not that I could find.  And most of those records were BN connected in some way, like Harold Maburn's Greasy Kid Stuff.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:11 PM, ghost of miles said:

Years ago I compiled a disc "Sidewinder and Sons," same idea but obliquely recalling Sanford & Son. I shared with a board member but can't recall who, maybe Cary in NC. I still pull it out and enjoy it in the car ... though I really don't know if what I chose fits perfectly with OP's requirements.

I’ve always been disappointed that Michael Cuscuna omitted the “obligatory funky first tune”  (David Burn’s “Buster Brown”) from the second Blue Note Frank Foster session (the rest issued with “Manhattan Fever”) - those tunes were often the reason anyone bought the album. 

(And, of course, Foster supplied maybe one of the only such tunes ever on Impulse - “Raunchy Rita,” also on a Prestige session.)

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

Check out Pacific Jazz.

There's some Jazz Crusaders that works for me, and since they are under the same ownership as BN now...

18 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Years ago I compiled a disc "Sidewinder and Sons," same idea but obliquely recalling Sanford & Son. I shared with a board member but can't recall who, maybe Cary in NC. I still pull it out and enjoy it in the car ... though I really don't know if what I chose fits perfectly with OP's requirements.

I'd love to know what you put on it.

14 hours ago, DMP said:

I’ve always been disappointed that Michael Cuscuna omitted the “obligatory funky first tune”  (David Burn’s “Buster Brown”) from the second Blue Note Frank Foster session (the rest issued with “Manhattan Fever”) - those tunes were often the reason anyone bought the album. 

(And, of course, Foster supplied maybe one of the only such tunes ever on Impulse - “Raunchy Rita,” also on a Prestige session.)

All the more reason to finally issue that session on vinyl.

5 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I'd love to know what you put on it.

That would necessitate listening and identifying tracks and anyone who reads my BFT posts knows, I suck at that. :g

I'm pretty sure though I had Lee's follow up, The Rumproller, The Turnaround, A Caddy for Daddy, Cornbread, Yes I Can, No You Can't.

I don't think I adhered to your definition ... my approach was simply tunes from subsequent releases with the strong "soul" element meant to garner airplay, not whether there was a vamp or a walking bass. I always thought those were the ones meant by Michael's "Son of Sidewinder" descriptor.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Les McCann too.

Even better, Les McCann with Stanley and/or Curtis Amy.

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I'm pretty sure though I had Lee's follow up, The Rumproller, The Turnaround, A Caddy for Daddy, Cornbread, Yes I Can, No You Can't.

I don't think I adhered to your definition ... my approach was simply tunes from subsequent releases with the strong "soul" element meant to garner airplay, not whether there was a vamp or a walking bass. I always thought those were the ones meant by Michael's "Son of Sidewinder" descriptor.

All of those qualify, IMHO.  I'm particularly fond of "Yes I can..."