Blue Note Groove Things, imaginary box set

On 2021-07-02 at 9:44 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

There's some Jazz Crusaders that works for me, and since they are under the same ownership as BN now...

I actually brought out some Jazz Crusaders albums the other day to look for examples, but it seems there's often a different flavor that differs from the "Sidewinder" style. JC:s tunes of this kind are somewhat more backbeat-ish, and sometimes with a touch of latin (cowbell etc). It seems to me they came to these grooves from another starting point. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I actually brought out some Jazz Crusaders albums the other day to look for examples, but it seems there's often a different flavor that differs from the "Sidewinder" style. JC:s tunes of this kind are somewhat more backbeat-ish, and sometimes with a touch of latin (cowbell etc). It seems to me they came to these grooves from another starting point. 

Yes, I only found a couple of Jazz Crusaders things I thought would work for my project, but I should revisit because my understanding of what exactly this thing is has shifted as I went along.  As it should.  A shuffle with a heavy backbeat doesn't necessarily qualify, unless it's got a latin-ish pattern bassline of built-in breaks that serve as a continuous vamp...then maybe.

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

The Jazz Crusaders Ooga-Boo-Ga-Loo - YouTube

here's one

Wilton's Boogaloo (Live/Digital Remaster/2005) - YouTube

here's another, both with 'boogaloo' right there in the titles.

'Wilton's Boogaloo' seems like a good example, but I think 'Ooga' is similar to some other Jazz Crusaders tunes in that it has very clear accents on "2" and "4", while I very much associate accents on "2" and "3 and" with a typical boogaloo. 

I don't deny that they are singing "boogaloo", and maybe it is a boogaloo, but I was thinking of the "son of Sidewinder" genre (and probably I forgot that the scope of this thread is a bit wider). "Sidewinder" and many of the spin-offs had this rhythmic shift, as well as "Watermelon Man" which came before it. 

"Pentecostal Feelin'", which has been mentioned as the very first recorded tune of this type on Blue Note, is yet another variation as it is using the classic "bossa" accent pattern.

Without knowing anything, of course - and I might be wrong - it sounds to me that for instance the Jazz Crusaders' concept for a groovy tune has other influences. I listened to their album Powerhouse recently, and their version of the little played Bacharach tune "Upstairs" exemplifies this more straight backbeat approach. 

Edited by Daniel A