Chick Corea Japanese reissue series

Harbour

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Circling In had extra material from the Now He Sings... and The Song Of Singing sessions that was included in their respective CD reissues. The rest of the material, all of which is the quartet with Braxton, has not yet been so favored.

I believe "Circling In" had some overlap with the "Early Circle" CD issue, but agree much of it would be new to CD, as would "Circulus".

Early Circle by Chick Corea (Compilation, Avant-Garde Jazz): Reviews,  Ratings, Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music

• 1 month later...

I ordered 'Circling In' and 'Circulus' from this batch and received them yesterday.

I'm probably slightly younger than most here and unfamiliar with the original twofers that were released in the 1970s but these seem faithful reproductions. Liner-notes (by Stanley Crouch and Robert Palmer) printed on the back-sleeve are continued inside the booklet which also contains black-and-white photography.

On 'Circling In' the presentation of the music has been adapted to the format. The order of the tracks is maintained but CD 1 only contains  the 1968 material which comprised side 1 and half of side 2 of the original vinyl-release. All of the 1970-material is on CD2. Seperating the sessions for this reissue makes sense but as a result CD1 clocks in at only 29 minutes, CD2 almost doubles that.

Be that as it may, I'm happy with my purchase. Both albums contain prime Corea, and a lot of the music has been unavailable for way too long.

Edited by Mark13

R-1421318-1421263967-2834.jpeg.jpg

Whoa. This is actually my first time hearing this music. I think I passed on it for so long because of the label. Mistake! Fabulous trio playing. The music here has particularly raised my fondness for Miroslav Vitous. He just kills it on this record. I haven't even absorbed the Monk material yet. I keep going back to the improvised tracks! The remastered sound is up-front but not overly compressed. There also seems to be less of the ECM sheen, if that makes sense. Recommended. :tup

9 minutes ago, RiRiIII said:

I see that Amazon jp offers them with exclusive "mega jackets" : " This is a product with the Amazon.co.jp limited benefit "Mega Jacket". It will end as soon as it runs out. (Size: 24 cm x 24 cm) "

What the heck is a “Mega Jacket”? :huh:

On 5/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, Late said:

This is actually my first time hearing this music.

This album is kicking my ass. Still haven't gotten to the Thelonious section. If you were like me all these years, DON'T be. This is a great album.

3 hours ago, Late said:

This album is kicking my ass. Still haven't gotten to the Thelonious section. If you were like me all these years, DON'T be. This is a great album.

Thelonious section ? 

I remember, one of my school buddies had an ECM Album of solo I think and there was Monk´s "Trinkle Tinkle" on it. Really something. 

About Chick Corea during that time (second half of the 70´s ): 

There was a Chick Corea boom especially RTF. 

Though RTF may not be my first choice of spinning, I admit it sounded good, especially stuff like "Romantic Warrior". 

But many RTF or Chick Corea fans were somehow strange people. Some kind of post hippy philosophy with questions like "who am I, were am I coming from and where am I going". Maybe not exactly like this, but something I couldn´t get with. Well, I had long hair and stuff and maybe I looked for some like some kind of those post hippies, but it was only to look older and to get in the clubs still being underage. 

When I went to Jazzland one night to hear Art Farmer, some of those strange guys during intermission started to ask me stuff like "what kind of human being are you". I said I am a jazz fan and I am here  to hear this  stuff and have a beer and a cigarette  during intermission. This is a jazz club and not a spiritual meeting". 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Thelonious section? 

The second half of the (double) album posted above contains Monk covers. I haven't really investigated it yet.

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I said I am a jazz fan and I am here to hear this stuff and have a beer and a cigarette during intermission.

That's a good answer!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RiRiIII said:

I had no idea about these sessions. I am playing know the 22min Drone from Circulus and love it!

That was a bonus cut on the Song of Singing CD issue.  The new mastering on these CD's sounds great to me!