Chris Barber, R.I.P.

EKE BBB

I certainly remember the Barber-related skiffle craze from the late 50s. For a while no self-respecting tea chest could escape being turned into a bass! But Lonnie Donegan had moved on from the Barber band by the time I saw them. The only time I saw Donegan was during a gig by organist Alan Haven in a Manchester club when he was spotted in the audience to tumultuous acclaim.

RIP. An important, influential early figure on the UK scene and also very open to influences (he recorded with Harriott). Due to tour as late as 2019 until that was cancelled by a fall, with his ‘Big Chris Barber Band’.

20 hours ago, BillF said:

The only time I saw Donegan was during a gig by organist Alan Haven in a Manchester club when he was spotted in the audience to tumultuous acclaim.

Duo gig with Tony Crombie?

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

RIP. An important, influential early figure on the UK scene and also very open to influences (he recorded with Harriott). Due to tour as late as 2019 until that was cancelled by a fall, with his ‘Big Chris Barber Band’.

Duo gig with Tony Crombie?

No, not with Crombie. Haven was a local guy and as far as I recall it was a solo session.

Barber, of course, was a huge name at one time in the trad craze of the 50s. When I told a woman of a certain age a few years ago that I liked jazz, she said she too had liked jazz when she was young. Who did she like? - Chris Barber, Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk. A mass following at one time - no American equivalent I think of this very British phenomenon. Of course, at the time I was keepin' cool with Ronnie and Tubbs. :cool:

It was Humphrey Lyttelton and Chris Barber who first got me interested in Jazz (and Acker to an extent but not Kenny Ball)

I quickly moved on to the real thing but I still enjoy all the records I used to enjoy, including my Chris Barber disks.

I only saw him once, on a tour with Louis Armstrong.

RIP