Captain Howdy

Ella Fitzgerald with Benny Goodman Orch

7 posts in this topic

Have the three tracks she recorded with BG been reissued under her own name lately on CD? 

Goodnight, My Love
Take Another Guess
Did You Mean It

"Goodnight, My Love" was included on the BG Centennial Collection, and "Did You Mean It" appears on one of the Hep volumes by RT Davies, but the only version of "Take Another Guess" I can find is from the old Birth of Swing set from 1991.

All 7 tracks from the Nov. 5, 1936 session, including the three you mention with Ella, are included in:

- "Benny Goodman and his Orchestra 1936, Vol. 2" --> Classics (F)836 [CD]

R-12395631-1534418058-8772.jpeg.jpg

- "The Birth Of Swing ( 1935 – 1936 ) --> RCA BB61038 [3 CDs]

R-2640760-1294557862.jpeg.jpg

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Have the three tracks she recorded with BG been reissued under her own name lately on CD? 

Goodnight, My Love
Take Another Guess
Did You Mean It

"Goodnight, My Love" was included on the BG Centennial Collection, and "Did You Mean It" appears on one of the Hep volumes by RT Davies, but the only version of "Take Another Guess" I can find is from the old Birth of Swing set from 1991.

It depends how you define lately: They are on the very first Classics (500) from 1990 (on the back insert) or 1992 (on the disc wich is wrong I guess). Ella Fitzgerald 1935-1937. The two tracks with Teddy Wilson 'My Melancholy baby' and 'All my life' from 17-3-1936 are also included. The rest are the Chick Webb sessions 12-6-1935 - 14-1-1937. 

Edited by miles65
typo

11 hours ago, miles65 said:

It depends how you define lately

Yeah, I was hoping for an official remastering from this century, or at least late '90s. You'd think Ella would have gotten the deluxe box set treatment rounding up all this stray material.

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah, I was hoping for an official remastering from this century, or at least late '90s. You'd think Ella would have gotten the deluxe box set treatment rounding up all this stray material.

1935-1955 Ella recorded for Decca after that for Verve,Capitol, Reprise, Pablo. There is not much stray material to collect. The two sides with Teddy Wilson are included in the Teddy Wilson Mosaic set. 

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

this is how you jam it dog!!!!!!

This must have been recorded on one of those early mobile phones.