Sun Ra House Falling Apart

Neighborhood grocery stores used to sell records as a matter of course...I think some of today's "ethnic" groceries still do, at least around here. Little mom/pop strip mall places, mostly African/Indian/Middle Eastern, used to be a lot of Mexican/Cuban/Puerto Rican markets did the same thing. Hell, I discovered PanArt at a Cuban grocery store! PanArt and Maltas. That market today is getting served by supermarket-sized stores with inventories that follow. Progress for food and stuff. Records, not so much...oh well!

Just saying, if you see these little places sitting there (I think in some places they're popularly referred to as "bodegas", in more chic circles) and think there might be some interesting music inside, stop in and see, there well might be!

I was just going to say that the only physical stores, besides dedicated record stores, where you can buy LPs these days are supermarkets. At least over here. 

My seven year old son got his second LP in the supermarket the other week. Vinly hype aside, it was a nice moment listening to the whole album with him. Spotify is not really the same. :)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Truck stops used to be goldmines, not for LPs, but for cassettes of all kinds of music & spoken word...the rack jobbers who serviced those accounts had access to a whole 'nother type of inventory...

Wish I could find the video on YouTube (I know I've seen it years ago), but there's a fun 10 minute clip of David Bowie and his live band from about 1995 iirc -- and they're on tour, and stop at some truck-stop god knows where (Bowie in a trucker hat, making him a little more incognito)... Anyway, they find one or maybe even BOTH of Bowie's Tin Machine albums in the cassette spindles near the cash register, for about $3 each -- and Bowie threatening to complain to the guy at the register that it's overpriced, or some such nonsense.

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

My seven year old son got his second LP in the supermarket the other week. Vinly hype aside, it was a nice moment listening to the whole album with him. Spotify is not really the same. :)

Dangerous. Before you know it your house will be full of cubes loaded with 12” platters. Slippery slope..:D

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Dangerous. Before you know it your house will be full of cubes loaded with 12” platters. Slippery slope..:D

Haha! I'm still uncertain that it would go that far. Rather, I'm totally expecting to take a lot of flak one day for unloading a lot of CDs all too cheaply. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Haha! I'm still uncertain that it would go that far. Rather, I'm totally expecting to take a lot of flak one day for unloading a lot of CDs all too cheaply. 

CDs are back in vogue chez moi. After updating the CD player recently the gap in playback standard is not too big at all, in fact both mediums have their pluses. Best of both worlds but twice the house clutter. I need a storage shed !

Edited by sidewinder