Hardest Instruments to Listen To Played Badly

BeBop

I have lived for quite a while in places where musical skills were not well-developed, mostly due to economic conditions. Still, I enjoyed children "doing their thing".  

Now quarantined in the United States, things are different.  

Part of the difference is the instruments.   Broad generalizations, high pitched instruments seem to bother me more, but not exclusively.  Middle-pitched and instruments less.  (Perhaps just the state of my hearing,  but very low pitched I can't hear.) Instruments with variable pitch production more than a simple drum or drone instrument, maybe for obvious reasons.

High-pitched instruments make sense. Less room for "error" in the waveforms, like if you drive a big car on a narrow dirt road, gotta look out, shoulder, what shoulder, right? Then, road, what road? Then oh shit, broke that axle, why is this thing still moving?

But move it does, until somebody makes it stop oh PLEASE GOD make it stop.

41 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

For me, clarinet.

The top half, for sure. But in the right hands, I rather like the bottom half (meaning everything below where you have to use the register key).

I could do without the top half — and then there’s like a whole NOTHER half (the altissimo register, which truly is above what I call the top half) — which I find excruciatingly difficult to listen to.

The bottom of the bass clarinet is usually divine, and even the rarely played alto clarinet’s lower register is very nice (taking about the standard alto, not the contra-alto).

my upstairs neighbor, who sadly just moved out, is learning clarinet at 26 inspired by Eric Dolphy. I gotta say I'm pumped and it was cool to hear him practice. He's a very hard worker and a sweet guy, so I'm sure he'll have fun with it. He was already a musician (electronics and guitar, mostly) but had not done anything with reed instruments as far as I know.