RIP Duffy Jackson

JSngry

Sad news to hear. When we lived in south Florida, I found out that Duffy was selling a CDR - the contents I cannot recall at all now - but I found an email and we met midway between (I think) Palm Beach and Delray Beach. A very brief conversation, I'm just not that ebullient a guy with people I've never met, but he was certainly pleasant.

Sometime after that I saw him at a converted church/performance space in an outdoor mall somewhere in Palm Beach County. The more I think about it, I want to say that this was the concert with Red Holloway and Eddie Higgins, and Duffy was the drummer. The one thing I remember is that on the second trio tune before Red came out, there was an intricate stop/start thing going, and when it ended, Eddie sort of rose off of the piano bench, huge grin on his face, looking at Duffy, with the fist-clench "YEAH!" expression. Got the feeling that if they had rehearsal, it wasn't happening but then the magic came in front of a crowd. Nice memory, made nicer by hearing Mr. Holloway with the group.

RIP.

Edit to add: Just found the disc, Chubby & Duffy Presents The Grand Masters of Swing: Givin' The Beat Back to the People. Going to listen soon, wish I had a clue who was in the band.

Edited by Dan Gould

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Sad news to hear. When we lived in south Florida, I found out that Duffy was selling a CDR - the contents I cannot recall at all now - but I found an email and we met midway between (I think) Palm Beach and Delray Beach. A very brief conversation, I'm just not that ebullient a guy with people I've never met, but he was certainly pleasant.

Sometime after that I saw him at a converted church/performance space in an outdoor mall somewhere in Palm Beach County. The more I think about it, I want to say that this was the concert with Red Holloway and Eddie Higgins, and Duffy was the drummer. The one thing I remember is that on the second trio tune before Red came out, there was an intricate stop/start thing going, and when it ended, Eddie sort of rose off of the piano bench, huge grin on his face, looking at Duffy, with the fist-clench "YEAH!" expression. Got the feeling that if they had rehearsal, it wasn't happening but then the magic came in front of a crowd. Nice memory, made nicer by hearing Mr. Holloway with the group.

RIP.

Edit to add: Just found the disc, Chubby & Duffy Presents The Grand Masters of Swing: Givin' The Beat Back to the People. Going to listen soon, wish I had a clue who was in the band.

That big band put out a couple of self-produced LPs: Big Fat Nothin' & Satin Doll. Maybe this CD is a comp with those two LPs?

10 hours ago, bresna said:

That big band put out a couple of self-produced LPs: Big Fat Nothin' & Satin Doll. Maybe this CD is a comp with those two LPs?

Good thought but no, several song titles aren't on either of those. I want to say that this was a soundboard tape of a local gig that Duffy was selling.