I like lists

David Ayers

Specifically, text lists. 

If I had a copy of the old Mole Jazz mail order list I’d post it. For a long time we had Crazy Jazz lists on the website (as below). 

Information about recordings is now so easy to find online. It’s easy to order from anywhere in the world. It’s better than it used to be, even if the music might not be.* I still yearn for simple text lists though. They are easy to assimilate and, as they don’t include images, clips etc, preserve some of the mystery. Am I alone? And what’s the best bet now for a list-lover?

*Discuss.

55423E56-E1C9-4950-A94E-1F5D06C1EA12

I think that due to space constraints (after years of storage) I threw away most of the Mole Jazz auction lists I received in the 90s and also most of the the Ray Avery set sale, auction and catalog lists I received for years in the early to mid-80s after I had bought several bunches of 78s there. I still have kept a few rock'n'roll and rockabilly lists from the late 80s and also jazz mail order lists from "Jazz is Beck" in Munich that may be useful for discographical purposes for specific collector labels as they have full track lists fo each LP (or CD) listed.

What I also still have are one or two old jazz book lists form the Bloomsbury Book Shop in Lnodon form 1978/79. I visited the shop in 1977 (during a high school class stay there), bought a few books,had a nice chat with the lady at the counter (who turned out to be Theresa Chilton, wife of John Chilton) and bought mail order form them once or twice afterwards. Those were the days ...

Nice to see Ray mentioned - bought some photos from him at a visit to his house, located near Bel-Air as I recall. By then his record store and the auction lists were in the past and he was retired but still doing his photography. Nice guy, originally from Windypeg.

I think I popped in to the Bloomsbury Bookshop on one occasion. The main Bookshop in that locality was Dillons University Bookshop, since rebranded as a branch of Foyles. Bloomsbury Bookshop used to advertise back then in Jazz Journal. 

Edited by sidewinder