42 Mosaic Boxes at Bob's Blues & Jazz Mart

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

I really cannot understand that Buck Clayton price... that sucker used to sell for big bucks. $89? Cheaper than new. I wonder what happened? Not enough fans of swing Jazz?

Got my copy off Mr Cuscuna, when he was offering them up new on eBay. I don’t think it was for much more than that, $99 I think - and copy number 20 something. You are right though - it used to go for lots more. A wonderful set.

Edited by sidewinder

The Clayton was one of those that got both LP & CD issue. I wonder what the LP version is going for these days? About the same as the CD?

22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I though the price was pretty good ! All theoretical now though..

the price was very good, I'd have paid that without hesitancy. But somebody else got there first. Oh well!

I sprung for the Ahmad Jamal Trio Argo Sessions and the CBS Eddie Condon All-Stars sets. I have really cut back on my purchases of "new" music, trying to focus instead on appreciating the collection I already have.  But I have long wanted that Ahmad Jamal set (I wasn't really into him at the time it was in stock at Mosaic and only later became a pretty big fan) and the price on the Eddie Condon set was too good to pass up.  I hope the sets are indeed in "Very Good Plus" condition.

If you guys are really interested in knowing the condition of a particular set, it's well worth placing a phone call. The sales person I dealt with was very helpful. Not rude or short with me. I took him for his word and placed the order. Supposedly Monday I'll be receiving my order. I could always post my impressions then.

Edited by Tom 1960

7 hours ago, David said:

I sprung for the Buck Clayton and the Teagarden Capitol. Would've been interested in the Eddie Condon CBS as well. Still considering the Teddy Wilson Verve, but already have For Quiet Lovers and I Got Rhythm on Japanese CDs. Perhaps that is enough.

Nice choices !

The Teddy Wilson Verve is good too (sorry !)

About 5 years ago, I bought several copies from Mr. Cuscuna when he had a couple listed on EBay.  Got a chance to chat with him, as he messaged me to call him at "the office" and he told me he had a few more sets not yet listed.  So I got several that were still sealed.  He told me that during the initial runs, they pulled a few aside for 'retirement money" and that time was approaching, so they were cashing them in.  From our couple of brief conversations, he seemed like an nice fellow.

I wish he was younger and not looking at retirement...he really has been the soul of that business, imo. Like Lon said, a fan, first and foremost, and a fan with big ears and a big mind, big enough to see the total pictures of the music. His stepping back has had a shockingly evident impact on the business. But....that's life.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I wish he was younger and not looking at retirement...he really has been the soul of that business, imo. Like Lon said, a fan, first and foremost, and a fan with big ears and a big mind, big enough to see the total pictures of the music. His stepping back has had a shockingly evident impact on the business. But....that's life.

Wonder if there will be a business after he retires. 

44 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not if current state is any indication?

Agreed.

Honestly, IMO most of Mosaic's communications and actions over the past 3 or so years have pretty much screamed "Liquidation!" So I expect basically nothing and regard any further releases as gravy, pleasant surprises, whatever.

After extended fence-sitting I went for the J. J. Johnson, one I'd long considered but held out on. No doubt heresy, but I've been in a downsizing mode (getting old, etc.) and Mosaic's bulky format appeals less and less.

Edited by T.D.

That JJ set pays dividends with repeated playings..JJ put a lot of thought into his settings that is not always immediately obvious. Voice of experience on that one speaking here...

So, if somebody is on the fence who is NOT downsizing, hey, carpe diem, and let your kids worry about cleaning it all up. Hell, you did it for them often enough, right?

21 hours ago, T.D. said:

Agreed.

Honestly, IMO most of Mosaic's communications and actions over the past 3 or so years have pretty much screamed "Liquidation!" So I expect basically nothing and regard any further releases as gravy, pleasant surprises, whatever.

After extended fence-sitting I went for the J. J. Johnson, one I'd long considered but held out on. No doubt heresy, but I've been in a downsizing mode (getting old, etc.) and Mosaic's bulky format appeals less and less.

I don't know about that. A new Armstrong set, a Lou Donaldson set, a Black and White Label set, and a possible Lee Morgan Blue Note 60s set? Seems to me they're fairly lively.

gregmo