Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cliffpeterson

Mark Whitecage

12 posts in this topic

It is being reported on facebook that Mark Whitecage has died. Seems to have  started with a post by Don Minasi.

DAMN, another one.

Shit, that's sad news. Great player!

His wife, the clarinetist Rozanne Levine, passed some years ago. She was a hell of a musician too. 

RIP to a fine musician - Clifford and I were at a show in early 2018 I think with that great quartet called The Nu Band with Mark, Thomas Heberer, Joe Fonda & Lou Grassi. Great set. 

I saw him play a couple of decades before at an early Vision Fest when he was with Michael Jefry Stevens on piano I think and again with Joe Fonda on bass - can’t remember the drummer. His sound and approach seemed to have a timeless quality and a real purity on the alto. 

What a shame. I enjoyed his playing with Pavone and Hampel.  Never had the chance to see him live.

11 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

RIP to a fine musician - Clifford and I were at a show in early 2018 I think with that great quartet called The Nu Band with Mark, Thomas Heberer, Joe Fonda & Lou Grassi. Great set. 

yes, the post-Roy Nu Band. That was awesome. I came down with the flu the next day, really awful and one of the worst bouts of it I ever had -- glad I made it through the night!

I wouldn't call those guys official.

I did get confirmation this morning from one of his regular collaborators, however. He passed on Sunday night.