Study finds that jazz fans are the happiest people of any genre of music

FWIW, the main jazz subreddit seems to skew quite a bit younger. What’s the median age here, 55?

It’s maybe 25-27, or definitely ages 21-30 BY FAR on r/jazz

Here’s a recent poll there from just this year, like a month ago...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jazz/comments/lcrfbg/how_old_are_the_wonderful_jazz_fans_of_this

Shoot, the actual poll results aren’t visible unless you’re logged in. I’ll type them out here then.

(total votes) — age range

(47) — 14 and younger

(849) — ages 15-20

(1,563) — ages 21-30

(549) — ages 31-40

(191) — ages 41-50

(170) — ages 50 and older

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

" The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness."

Positive words are mandated on reddit. You use negative words and you get downvoted or shadowbanned. Looking for unhappy people on reddit is like looking for atheists on a Catholic website.

Yeah, well speaking of Catholics, look at what you did to Father Merrin and Father Demian, Pazuzu!:alien:

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

" The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness."

Positive words are mandated on reddit. You use negative words and you get downvoted or shadowbanned. Looking for unhappy people on reddit is like looking for atheists on a Catholic website.

Eerie ...

A kind of Newspeak??

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why Reddit?

I understand it’s easy to programmatically download data from the site. For instance, there are literally dozens of homemade (3rd-party) apps as alternate front-ends to access the site. Likewise, there’s a lot of homemade add-ons available as well (to the standard desktop interface).

It’s (apparently) trivially easy to select all the words of every r/jazz post ever made, and then one can study that dataset, to see how it compares to other subreddits.

The’s a nifty subreddit devoted to all sorts of elegant graphs and other wild ways to display data (often in animated ways — called r/dataisbeautiful— and there are often comparisons of subreddits, or demonstrations of how one particular subreddit has changed over time, etc.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So Reddit is now where all the insightful and informative jazz interactions are happening these days? Will this be true for all musics as well? I can go to Reddit and find out what's happening now and not feel pwned by so doing?

There's probably an equal balance of insight/info with trash, but it's pretty active regardless. Nice to see enthusiastic younger musicians and listeners from all over the world talk about this music. 

There are many things I like — even love — about Reddit. But the software does NOT effectively allow for lengthy conversations over time.

EVERYTHING on Reddit is really ephemeral. It all exists and is searchable for years to come — but it’s impossible to have much discourse (on a particular topic) that lasts any longer than about 12 hours — so conversations there are like planting seeds, seeing them sprout, only to never be seen again (or never have any more input again) barely 24 hours later.

What i dearly love about forum-type boards (such as this one, the old BNBB, AAJ, the Hoffman forums, etc) — is that you can have long and winding conversations on a particular topic literally FOR YEARS. Whatever its other positives are, Reddit ain’t like that (in terms of discussions over time).

Basically the ‘problem’ is that replying to a thread doesn’t make a given thread any more ‘active’ than it was before you (or anyone else) last replied to it. Here, any reply to any topic bumps it up in the list of recent replies. On Reddit, where there’s (usually) WAY more users, thread activity does lengthen the time a thread is more prominently visible — but eventually (always within 24 hours, or maybe 48 hours on much LESS trafficked subreddits) a given topic will just slowly slide down in prominence.

If you find a great topic from a week ago, the ONLY person who really has any idea that you’ve contributed (more) to the conversation, is the one and only person to who you’ve replied to (whose prior post you ‘hang’ your reply off of).

Its great for a lot of things, but not everything.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The only thing I know about Reddit is their video uploads to youtube, in which they collect the "best" answers to certain topics. I've enjoyed the "NSFW" subjects like "worst morning after a one-night stand" "What were you thinking the first time you gave oral sex" etc etc.

Is there a hierarchy of "upvotes"? Do "gold" pieces have monetary value? WTH?

• 2 years later...

I don´t know what is that "reddit" never heard that word, but yeah, I AM HAPPY, and jazz is part of me, a great part of my daily routine is jazz. I think there is no hour the day where there is not jazz in my head, and a large amount of playing and about the only time where I enjoy the presence of other people, if they are serious about music.....

So in what respect are those you know fundamentally different and unhappy? :D

Frustrated by the niche existence of jazz and its fans?
Frustrated by the inability of convincing everyone (else) of the overriding appeal of "jazz"?
Frustrated by the problem that what they consider jazz may not be considered jazz by everyone else within the jazz microcosmos?
Or just plain grumpy? 😁

(Not that I would attach too much GENERAL relevance to what someone thinks he has uncovered on something called Reddit, BTW ;) But even if this finding was just a flash in the pan it could have come out worse, right?)