J.J. Johnson/Al Grey "Things Are Getting Better etc."

Larry Kart

What a terrific happy date this 1983 OJC disc is. Grey's characteristic vigor loosens up J.J. a good deal, while Kenny Barron, Ray Brown, and Mickey Roker play their asses off. Sheer joy. Sadly it seems to be o.o.p. or rather pricey. I found my copy at a library sale.

51iNJuC4nuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

56 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Go for it, I'd say. A very happy date. Only drawback is that it's only 46 minutes, but it feels like a multi-course banquet.

That's about the length of an hour-long TV show minus the commercials and stuff.

I'm increasingly liking the LP-length programs of LPs on CDs. Relevant additional length is always welcome, but superfluous padding is a drag.

I bought an NM- copy of the original Pablo LP from Dusty Groove less than two years ago for $2.99.  They get Pablo titles in all the time, so I’d watch that space.

BTW, my reaction was very different from Larry’s.  I thought it was a nice enough date, but nothing notable.  Different strokes.  

In the liner notes, Granz seems to say that J.J. wanted to harken back to his Jay & Kai dates.