Book on Dottie Dodgion (1929-2021)

On 15.3.2021 at 6:15 AM, bertrand said:

Does she talk about:

1) Mary Osborne?

2) Duke Pearson, with whom her husband was long associated.

Here`s what Wayne answered:

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for letting me know about the question.

Duke Pearson is mentioned but not talked about.  Dottie mentions how working with Mary Osborne was "sublime", and she is mentioned as part of certain groups, but no discussion beyond that.  In the supplementary materials there are three recordings that include Mary Osborne.

I hope that answers the questions from the forum member.

Best,

Wayne
Edited by mikeweil

Hadn't heard the name before but curious about the book. Amazon shows it as available right now and eligible for Prime shipping. Yanow's biography on allmusic says she has made "many" appearances on record but discogs only shows four total? Maybe a different definition of "many".

In 1977, when I was living in Rochester, New York, I went to see an all female quintet playing at the Monticello (club) .  The group was - Vi Redd, Marian McPartland, Mary Osborne, Lynn Milano and Dorothy Dodgion.

During that gig, they recorded an album on the Halcyon label titled "Now's The Time".

What seems to be confusing discographies is that Dottie Dodgion and Dorothy Dodgion are the same person, but sometimes listed as two separate people depending on which name is used on a recording.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

In 1977, when I was living in Rochester, New York, I went to see an all female quintet playing at the Monticello (club) .  The group was - Vi Redd, Marian McPartland, Mary Osborne, Lynn Milano and Dorothy Dodgion.

During that gig, they recorded an album on the Halcyon label titled "Now's The Time".

Wow, that's a great group.  Under what name of artist(s) or group was the record released?

https://www.discogs.com/Mary-Osborne-Marian-McPartland-Vi-Redd-Lynn-Milano-Dottie-Dodgion-Nows-The-Time/release/6190077

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

What seems to be confusing discographies is that Dottie Dodgion and Dorothy Dodgion are the same person, but sometimes listed as two separate people depending on which name is used on a recording.

Yeah, there are two more releases as Dorothy Dodgion per discogs (both 1970s Ruby Braffs) and they don't connect her to Dottie as another name she used. 

Edited by Dan Gould

23 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Here`s what Wayne answered:

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for letting me know about the question.

Duke Pearson is mentioned but not talked about.  Dottie mentions how working with Mary Osborne was "sublime", and she is mentioned as part of certain groups, but no discussion beyond that.  In the supplementary materials there are three recordings that include Mary Osborne.

I hope that answers the questions from the forum member.

Best,

Wayne

Thanks! I am curious about the supplementary material. Is this is an audio CD that goes with the book? And are the tracks from the Now's The Time record or something else?

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Marian McPartland - she was a partner in Halcyon with Sherman Fairchild and Hank O'Neal. The record was titled "Now's the Time".

Assuming the label does not exist as such, who kept the Masters?

No idea about the supplementary material. Wayne told me they have several live recordings not listed anywhere. 

Btw she sang on a Nick Esposito session where Cal Tjader played bongos. That was why Wayne contacted me. She appeared as Dottie Grae on that session, before she married Jerry Dodgion.

Thanks! How can one contact Wayne about the extra material for discographical purposes?

Update: the Supplementary material is on the website, i.e. you can listen to clips. So still not clear if the book has a CD in it also, or if the clips are the only way to get the music. Maybe I can write to the publisher, unless Wayne is willing to answer.

There are three tracks with Mary, two I think unissued. And some rarities with Chick Corea!

Edited by bertrand

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

They played more than 40 minutes, right? It would be nice to track down the full concert and the two TV appearances the group did. Sounds like a great 2-CD set if anyone cares. Who runs the McPartland estate?  

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

1) At least digitize the damn tapes.

Who? Who do you propose pay to digitize the damn tapes? You seem as keen as anyone to see it get done, so why don't you put up the money?

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

2) How do you know 'no one' would buy it?

Because you said "they have no commercial potential."

10 hours ago, bertrand said:

They played more than 40 minutes, right? It would be nice to track down the full concert and the two TV appearances the group did. Sounds like a great 2-CD set if anyone cares. Who runs the McPartland estate?  

It was along time ago, so my memory is a bit vague, but I believe they played at the club at least 2 nights and with 2 sets per night. No idea how much of the entire gig was recorded. I was there just one night and stayed for both sets.

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Who? Who do you propose pay to digitize the damn tapes? You seem as keen as anyone to see it get done, so why don't you put up the money?

Because you said "they have no commercial potential."

Who said I wouldn't pay for it if I knew who had them? I already paid to digitize a Lee Morgan tape that no one will ever put out.

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Hand the tapes over to Jordi Pujol and see how it gets done! :D:D:g:g

Yes, I will just wait for the Fresh Sound CD in 2028.

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

There was a "Women In Jazz"(?) series on A&E that McPartland hosted. I think the group mentioned here performed on it?

Yes, I think so. That would be supplementary audio to the LP I was thinking of. Is that out there to watch?

Looking back, I see that I wrote ' Sounds like a great 2-CD set if anyone cares'. 'If anyone cares' was my way of staving off the usual barrage of 'it will never sell' type of comments from the usual suspects. Epic fail.