Newest Addition

Born yesterday morning. Name TBD, lots of interest in purchasing from her horse connections on FB, according to my wife. (It's a she, by the way.) That black hair on the neck is hardly there a day later - she's going to be pretty much pure "leopard" colored Apaloosa.

Screenshot 2021-03-16 102637.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Is "foal" the correct term here?

Yes that is the unisex term for less than a year old. Filly would gender-specific, as colt would be if she were male. They become yearlings (unisex) after first birthday.

Here's another shot taken this morning but without the sun streaming, to get a better view of her coloring. You can see how the black hair at her neck is less thick than it looked like on her first day. 

Fortunately no matter how sweet she gets, I don't let myself get so attached to the babies as to not want to cash in on whatever price gets negotiated.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 080648.jpg

Edit to add:  It really astonishes me to even try to imagine how this thing was folded up inside her mother a couple of days ago. As big as she looked before birth, it doesn't seem possible she would fit.

Edited by Dan Gould

For what purpose (occupation?) are these hoses being bred? Asking because "Newest Addition" sounds like something you could put a bet on a the track.

Hope that's not in any way an offensive question, btw. I am fond of horses, magnificent creatures, indeed, but I know next to nothing about the various reason for which they are bred.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

For what purpose (occupation?) are these hoses being bred? Asking because "Newest Addition" sounds like something you could put a bet on a the track.

Hope that's not in any way an offensive question, btw. I am fond of horses, magnificent creatures, indeed, but I know next to nothing about the various reason for which they are bred.

They are bred specifically to perpetuate the "foundational Appaloosa" line.  Appaloosa's have been cross-bred for so long that there is a movement to preserve the breed thru breeding of verified lineages.  So the adults, two males (one intact, one gelded), two mares, (one 23 and officially retired), and a four year old who is the daughter of the 23 year old and will be ready to breed in another year, are all registered with the authorities that make these distinctions of "foundation Appaloosa".

Beyond that they are bred for recreational type use - the very first baby went to a facility on the east coast of Florida that combines "senior living" with horse therapy. She basically gets loved on all the time.  Some are getting trained as show animals but there are so many kinds of competitive showing. I think one is being trained for "shadow" work.  Basically they learn to follow their trainers steps without being ridden. 

A big part of the success in terms of good-looking and acting babies is that the stallion is almost all white - meaning that he can throw off babies with lots of color to almost no color at all, like him. The same mother has had with him an all-white mare but also an extreme leopard color colt. Also, this stallion is one of the most mellow intact horses you'll ever meet, and his sons have been especially mellow too.  Also he is under-sized due to abuse suffered when he was younger, but his lineage must have some big horses because he keeps making big babies.

Edited by Dan Gould