Tommy Flanagan - In His Own Sweet Time

mjzee

Release date March 19:

71DTzN%2BhT9L._SL1181_.jpg

71sxY14WskL._SL1200_.jpg

Previously unreleased solo recording from American jazz piano great Tommy Flanagan, from October 9th, 1994 at the Birdland Jazz Club in Neuburg on the Danube in Germany, playing on a Bösendorfer Grand Piano. 

This is the story of a concert, which almost didn't happen. A story of a culture shock that struck somewhere between an American metropolis and a Bavarian small town. A story of a strong woman, who wants to shelter her husband at any price. And a story of a very special recording, which slumbered in the archives for over 26 years and would now see the light of day for the first time. 

Now that the legendary solo recording has been released the happy end is perfect. A quiet, deliberate, wonderful final point closes the incredible career of Thomas Lee Flanagan, who everybody called Tommy, and who passed away on November 16th, 2001.

I think I read in Bollemann´s book with his memories about recording artists at the Monster Studio in Netherlands, that Flanagan played exclusivly on Bösendorfer pianos and that there was not a Bösendorfer and Flanagan´s wife said that he would not play it. But Mr. Flanagan tried the studio piano and said it´s great and it turned out to be a wonderful recording session.

I saw Tommy Flanagan with George Mraz and Art Taylor at Hollabrunn,Austria in july 1985. I don´t know if they had a Bösendorfer....., the concert was wonderful.....