Freddie Redd (1928-2021)

clifford_thornton

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, felser said:

RIP.  This was one of those legendary, long OOP albums when I first got into the music in the early 70's.  By the time I finally heard/owned it 20 years later, it couldn't possibly meet my hyped-up expectations.

Gripsweat - Freddie Redd - The Music From "The Connection" - Blue Note -  BLP4027

I've had this music in my car for the past eight years or so - it's on an SD card with a random bunch of jazz. It's such a great album that I never tire of hearing. Sad loss of another great RIP

He did interesting work all his life.

Wish we could all say the same.

2 hours ago, felser said:

RIP.  This was one of those legendary, long OOP albums when I first got into the music in the early 70's.  By the time I finally heard/owned it 20 years later, it couldn't possibly meet my hyped-up expectations.

Gripsweat - Freddie Redd - The Music From "The Connection" - Blue Note -  BLP4027

Check out the Shirley Clarke film of the play. The music is by far and away the best part of it, but it is GREAT. And Freddie Redd is right there in it, as should be.

Oh my, one more film credit to his name!

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0714660/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

Danish!

Dang.

His Blue Notes were essential to my learning to appreciate hard bop. Also, my introduction to Tina Brooks. A sensitive player, IMO, who rather quietly followed his own path. Very much a songwriter, I think.

I mean...

Edited by Joe

I never did get a chance to see Freddie. Whenever he seemed to show up in the Boston area, it was always "off the beaten path" and usually by the time I heard about it, it was either in the past or sold out.

I wonder if Freddie's career would've been different if he never did that Boplicity date of "The Connection" that supposedly upset Alfred Lion?

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Check out the Shirley Clarke film of the play. The music is by far and away the best part of it, but it is GREAT. And Freddie Redd is right there in it, as should be.

On my watch list for the weekend!

Where can you see that now? Someplace "normal"? I never knew about it until I found a VHS of it in a Blockbuster cutout bin in the late 80s (and that was when I knew that home video was entering a new phase, when all the "arts" stuff started showing up in cutout bins...).

I find it unintentionally comic, the acting is just SO chariactured (as is the script, in retrospect), but the band is ON.

Wish there would have been some documentation of later productions, where the band started getting involved and improvising lines. I think that's where the Cecil/Shepp connection took root? Can you imagine those two contributing to a real time version of that script?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Where can you see that now? Someplace "normal"? I never knew about it until I found a VHS of it in a Blockbuster cutout bin in the late 80s (and that was when I knew that home video was entering a new phase, when all the "arts" stuff started showing up in cutout bins...).

I find it unintentionally comic, the acting is just SO chariactured (as is the script, in retrospect), but the band is ON.

Wish there would have been some documentation of later productions, where the band started getting involved and improvising lines. I think that's where the Cecil/Shepp connection took root? Can you imagine those two contributing to a real time version of that script?