Freddie Redd (1928-2021)

clifford_thornton

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mhatta said:

RIP.  Under Paris Skies is a little known gem, one of my all-time favorite piano trio albums.

I think his piano playing skill is somewhat limited, but what a talent as a composer!

Well he is not a virtuoso on the piano, but has a very unique style. You hear it and know it ´s Freddie Redd . 
I always had the impression that a lot of his composition work, the way he uses those descending chords was influenced by Bud Powell´s composition "Oblivion". Oblivion has a lot of what seemed to influence Freddie Redd.....

R-2119421-1335721348.jpeg.jpg

Giving this one-time favorite a spin. Such impassioned stuff!

In 1960 a London University student friend of mine was living in Drury Lane in the theatre district when the cast including musicians from The Connection arrived in his building for what was to be an abortive run of the play in the face of unhip London audiences. After showing off his Charlie Parker albums, my friend was invited to the dress rehearsal by McLean!

The film of The Connection is very good, too. Saw it again at HOME, Manchester's arts centre, a couple of years ago. Should have thought of it when we were compiling a list of best jazz films a few weeks ago.<_<

6 hours ago, mhatta said:

Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers shares an interesting story about Freddie Redd...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMi4YWWhjSn/

Speaking of Flea — can anyone name a musician who recorded with BOTH Freddie Redd and also with Flea??

And can some kind soul post Flea’s story here? I don’t have an Instagram account — and it’s making me log in to see the whole thing. Thanks! (Maybe that’s even what it’s about— but I’m guessing probably not.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

49 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Speaking of Flea — can anyone name a musician who recorded with BOTH Freddie Redd and also with Flea??

And can some kind soul post Flea’s story here? I don’t have an Instagram account — and it’s making me log in to see the whole thing. Thanks! (Maybe that’s even what it’s about— but I’m guessing probably not.)

Flea: " Oh man, the great Freddie Redd has passed away. The man was a transcendent pianist and a major figure of the hard bop era. He lived at our house for a while when I was a kid, I was in love with him, in awe of him. I’d sit and watch him practice, transfixed. Listening to his album The Connection right now, his deep funky solos flying through my living room, working their magic as always. Fly on Freddie you live forever. Rest In Peace. "

4 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I continue to have a nearly-impossible time wrapping my head around the fact that Flea might be something more respectable than the guy who performed with a sock on his shlong. 

Theatrics aside, I'm pretty sure he's a serious musician and legit talent. I was a big fan of RCHP back in the day. Without his bass playing they'd likely have never grown beyond California. 

42 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Theatrics aside, I'm pretty sure he's a serious musician and legit talent. I was a big fan of RCHP back in the day. Without his bass playing they'd likely have never grown beyond California. 

I was not a fan and therefore I have only categorized him as the guy with a sock on his schlong.

My wife who's a big Chili Peppers fam is reading Flea's autobiography right now and she keeps telling me, "So far in the book he's a big jazz guy."  I remember the Chili Peppers scrawling a sign honoring Ornetter when they were ag the Grammies with him. (Someone here seemed disturbed by that.) 

IIRC in LA Fea once backed up Ornette as one of his many bassists. 

Edited by medjuck

Walter Urban was a bass player in 70s and 80s LA who's biggest claim to fame nowadays is that, e.g., the readers of Rolling Stone magazine have voted his step son Michael Peter Balzary aka Flea the second greatest bass player in history (link) (after John Entwistle, before Paul McCartney)... he himself never achieved that type of fame (just like most people), Flea has remarked elsewhere that he can strongly identify with the childhood scenes Joe Albany's daughter wrote about... this here is from LA Weekly in 1981

la_weekly_thu__apr_30c3jr2.jpg

15 minutes ago, Niko said:

Walter Urban was a bass player in 70s and 80s LA who's biggest claim to fame nowadays is that, e.g., the readers of Rolling Stone magazine have voted his step son Michael Peter Balzary aka Flea the second greatest bass player in history (link) (after John Entwistle, before Paul McCartney)... he himself never achieved that type of fame (just like most people), Flea has remarked elsewhere that he can strongly identify with the childhood scenes Joe Albany's daughter wrote about... this here is from LA Weekly in 1981

la_weekly_thu__apr_30c3jr2.jpg

Awesome find!

6 minutes ago, Niko said:

:) easy - everybody knows that Flea recorded with Ornette Coleman, and  quick search of the board brought up this thread

First I’ve ever heard of Ornette and Redd ever having done anything related — though from that thread, it’s not at all clear that they actually ever recorded TOGETHER. And regardless, I don’t know that Flea and Ornette appearing on-stage together once (together) counts either.

No, I was thinking of an entirely different person — and both times this person recorded with Freddie and Flea, it was for regular studio sessions (released as regular albums, both on major labels in fact).

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

First I’ve ever heard of Ornette and Redd ever having done anything related — though from that thread, it’s not at all clear that they actually ever recorded TOGETHER. And regardless, I don’t know that Flea and Ornette appearing on-stage together once (together) counts either.

No, I was thinking of an entirely different person — and both times this person recorded with Freddie and Flea, it was for regular studio sessions (released as regular albums, both on major labels in fact).

You have me stumped, but I know nothing about Flea. Not James Taylor, I assume. Freddie plays organ on Carolina On My Mind.

On the topic of Josef Bogdanovich, I can't believe I did not give more details at the time.

Freddie mentioned him in connection with Herbie Nichols. This conversation took place at An Die Musik, so probably in 2012/2013. Freddie said that he helped Bogdanovich book a jazz series in the 50s. One of the artists was Herbie Nichols and, get this, Freddie remembered the concert being FILMED. Now Freddie was not a person who was into specifics, but if he mentioned something this from 50-60 years before, there is a good chance there is some truth to it. Even new audio of Nichols would be a find, and live!

So let's get to the bottom of this. How do we proceed? 

Edited by bertrand

19 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well he is not a virtuoso on the piano, but has a very unique style. You hear it and know it ´s Freddie Redd . 
I always had the impression that a lot of his composition work, the way he uses those descending chords was influenced by Bud Powell´s composition "Oblivion". Oblivion has a lot of what seemed to influence Freddie Redd.....

And Bud’s “I’ll Keep Loving You.”