Paul Jackson 1947 - 2021

mikeweil

A-272081-1190240549.jpeg.jpg

Bill Summers reported on his facebook page:

"Bass player Paul Jackson my brother and band mate in the Headhunters passed this morning. One of the greatest musicians that ever lived.

I am floored by his death.
I want all you guys to know that Paul would not want tears instead he would want a huge party with his favorite musician friends.
We will let you guys know when we get it organized. Let’s send him away correctly."

Paul Jackson was the bass player on Herbie Hancock's famous Headhunters album. He and Bill Summers and Mike Clark continued the band whenever possible. He was one of the foremost funk bass players of his time. R.I.P.

Looking back, it's hard to determine which bands or artists guided me from my teenage prog-rock inclinations toward jazz, but Paul Jackson definitely played a major part. The grooves he laid down with Harvey Mason/Mike Clark in those Hancock-groups were unlike anything I knew and absolutely jaw-dropping.

And still, going back to those albums (some are great guilty pleasures, some are just GREAT) the level of musicianship always puts a smile on my face. What an awesome bass-player he was.

RIP

"God Made Me Funky"...my god, I was in a record store when that came out, they put it on, and I was like, wow, new Herbie record, cool, but then that vocal started I was like, wait, this isn't Sly who is this, and then that Bennie Maupin solo started and kept going, and going, and GOING...WAY more out than anything on a Herbie record, for damn sure not a Sly record, so I almost literally ran up to the counter and probably literally said WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??!?!?!?!? This was back in the day when a good record store would have a badass sound system and would crank their records up, so they knew that if it hit you in that good spot, that you would buy it, so yeah, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??!?!?!?!?

So they showed me, and I bought it on the spot. Went back to the shopping and bought some other stuff, but hey, I was taking no chances on God Made Me Funky. Oh hell no. God would give me anything I want, but for this one, it took $4.98 (iirc) first. Like the song said...