Who do you recognize?

mikeweil

R-901363-1594410298-8563.jpeg.jpg

Lover left corner, Herbie Mann.

In the middle, besides the girl with the straw hat, Sonny and Linda Sharrock.

Top left, Roy Ayers.

But who's the guy holding his arm? And who is the guy on the low right? 

And who are the guys behind Ayers' arm, and the women, if any musicians are among them?

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

But who's the guy holding his arm?

That might be Hubert Laws.

Interestingly, per Wikipedia, the Sharrocks do not appear on this album.  Musicians are:

Could the person next to Ayers be Tolliver?

The person on the lower right might be Bruno Carr:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg.discogs.com%2Fhjab8

Edited by mjzee

Agree on Hubert Laws. That cover was meant to illustrate the title, not the session personnel. Sharrock was Ayers' bandmate with Herbie Mann, who even had Linda sing on some gigs as you can hear on the recently issued tracks from the Whisky A Go Go.

The guy on the low right looks more like Billy Cobham to me. He played on a Mann-produced Ron Carter album on Embryo, that also featured Tate.

Edited by mikeweil

I’d all but forgotten Tolliver was on even this date, but what I’m really remembering is that Tolliver’s contribution was pretty hard to even notice.

I think I had a 32jazz CD reissue if it (those 32jazz ‘jewel cases’ gave me the willies), and traded it off fairly quickly (knowing me, due to a severe lack of discernible Tolliver quotient).

If all this album is up on YouTube, can anyone pinpoint any serious Tolliver moments?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have the LP, and it's nice enough, but...

He's also on the early Ubiquity album Red Black & Green...I don't recall any particularly impactful input there, either.

Still, it shows you that the entrepreneurial impulses behind Strata-East were not occurring in an ideological vacuum.

19 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’d all but forgotten Tolliver was on even this date, but what I’m really remembering is that Tolliver’s contribution was pretty hard to even notice.

I think I had a 32jazz CD reissue if it (those 32jazz ‘jewel cases’ gave me the willies), and traded it off fairly quickly (knowing me, due to a severe lack of discernible Tolliver quotient).

If all this album is up on YouTube, can anyone pinpoint any serious Tolliver moments?

I'd have to listen to it again, but on the spot cannot recall any Tolliver solos  - Ayers, Laws, Bartz, Hancock - but no Tolliver. He solos nicely a few times on Ayers' first Atlanttic album, Virgo Vibes.

4 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Tolliver solos nicely a few times on Ayers' first Atlanttic album, Virgo Vibes.

My gosh, yes!! — Virgo Vibes being Tolliver’s only recording I know of with Joe Henderson too, iirc.

Tolliver’s also on the two additional bonus tracks from that same VV session (iirc), although I think those are both with Harold Land instead — but about 13 minutes total, and quite good as far as extra material goes, fleshing out the date quite nicely.

Edited by Rooster_Ties